Apex court orders resealing of Delhi marketAugust 17th, 2011 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) Saying that “anything could happen in this country”, the Supreme Court Wednesday ordered the resealing of 149 shops of a market allegedly built on a green belt in north Delhi.
An apex court bench of Justice V.S. Sirpurkar and Justice G.S. Singhvi passed the “resealing” order against Razapur market in Rohini area during the hearing on two reports submitted by its monitoring committee dealing with illegal constructions.
The court ordered the resealing after its query seeking a copy of Lt. Governor Tejinder Khanna’s order of Dec 1, 2010, directing de-sealing of 54 shops in the market, could not be answered satisfactorily.
The court sought the copy of the order, saying that it wanted to know the mind of Khanna when he passed the de-sealing order.
“We want to know the mind of the Lt. Governor (when he passed the de-sealing order). Was he aware of the proceedings before the Supreme Court. Was he told about it or he took it upon himself to decide,” Justice Sirpurkar asked.
Upon not getting the copy of the orders passed by Khanna, the court said: “It does give an impression that it was a telephonic order.”
The court was told that Khanna ordered de-sealing of 54 shops and other shopkeepers themselves tampered with the seals and broke them open.
The court adjourned the hearing on the monitoring committee’s report seeking vacation of space in front of shops in Khan Market in central Delhi and Sarojini Nagar Market in south Delhi.
The matter would come up for hearing in the last week of August.
- Apex court rejects Jagan's plea against CBI probe (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- MCD re-opens Metro mall after lieutenant governor's directive - Jun 18, 2010
- Transfer of land to ASI upheld - Mar 25, 2011
- De-seal flats in Games Village, court tells DDA (Lead) - Nov 03, 2011
- Court slams firm for illegal construction by misleading MCD - Nov 17, 2009
- Court asks Air India to de-seal staff union offices - Jun 28, 2010
- Court says no to de-sealing of Delhi mobile phone towers - Jun 14, 2010
- Face trial for defamation, three army officers told (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Tejinder's plea against army chief sent to another court - May 05, 2012
- Tejinder's plea against army chief sent to another court (Second Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Court reserves order on further probe in case against army chief - May 25, 2012
- Apex court puts sealing in Delhi on hold, to examine law - Jan 03, 2012
- Court order on plea against army chief April 26 - Apr 21, 2012
- Court orders de-sealing of moblile phone towers - Jul 08, 2010
- Fix criteria for PDS monitoring panels, SC tells centre (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, central delhi, court bench, delhi market, illegal constructions, khan market, lt governor, monitoring committee, New Delhi, north delhi, proceedings, sarojini nagar, seals, south delhi, supreme court