Apex court dismisses poacher Sansar Chand’s appealOctober 20th, 2010 - 12:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday dismissed an appeal by notorious poacher Sansar Chand who had challenged his conviction and five-year sentence for selling leopard and tiger skins.
This judgment was pronounced by the apex court bench of Justice Markandey Katju and Justice T.S. Thakur.
Chand, who is undergoing a five-year jail term, moved the apex court challenging his conviction in a case involving the smuggling of parts of tiger and leopard bodies in Rajasthan in 2003.
In 2006, Chand had admitted to selling 470 tiger skins and 130 leopard skins to customers in Nepal and Tibet. He made this confession before the Central Bureau of Investigation.
On Oct 4, the Supreme Court slammed Chand for killing tigers, leopards and other endangered species for commercial gains and said the day was not far when human skin would also be traded.
In a strong indictment of Chand’s poaching activities, the court had said: “The population of tigers and leopards was declining because you (Chand) are trading in skins of tigers and leopards. There is no tiger left in Sariska (Tiger Reserve).”
“For your appetite for more money, tomorrow you will even sell human skins,” the court had chided the petitioner.
- Poacher Sansar Chand faces apex court's wrath - Oct 04, 2010
- Supreme Court refuses to go easy on poacher - Oct 20, 2010
- Wildlife activists shocked at jail suspension of Sansar Chand - Sep 25, 2009
- Wildlife smuggler Sansar Chand gets bail - May 31, 2012
- Apex court rejects woman's alimony claim - Oct 21, 2010
- Supreme Court appoints panel for sex workers (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- Hang bride burners: Supreme Court, - Oct 09, 2010
- Apex court appoints panel for sex workers - Jul 19, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Apex court denies bail to ex-armyman - Oct 04, 2010
- Pappu Yadav's bail plea rejected by apex court - Oct 07, 2010
- Apex court rejects plea to review verdict on 'keep' - Mar 16, 2011
- Nithari case: Supreme Court pulls up CBI - Feb 09, 2011
- SC to re-examine verdict on membership of banned outfits - Aug 13, 2012
- Now, tigers and leopards targeted by Maoists - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, central bureau of investigation, confession, court bench, endangered species, human skin, human skins, indictment, jail term, leopard skins, leopards, money tomorrow, petitioner, rajasthan, sansar chand, sariska tiger reserve, thakur, tibet, tiger skins