Apex court asks Kerala to allow Mullaperiyar dam upkeepJuly 23rd, 2012 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) The Supreme court Monday directed the Kerala government to permit Tamil Nadu to undertake maintenance and cleaning work at the Mullaperiyar dam.
The five-judge bench headed by Justice D.K. Jain said that the maintenance and the cleaning work at the dam would be undertaken under the supervision of a three-member committee.
The three-member committee will comprise of a superintending engineer each from Tamil Nadu and Kerala and an independent representative nominated by the chairman of Central Works Commission.
The court’s order came in pursuance of an application by Tamil Nadu government, seeking directions to Kerala to permit maintenance and cleaning of the dam by it.
The court has permitted 40 reports commissioned by an empowered committee be given to both Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The empowered committee headed by the former chief justice of India, Justice A.S. Anand, was set up by the Supreme Court to look into the safety of the dam.
- Apex court asks Kerala to allow Mullaperiyar dam upkeep (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Give Mullaperiyar report to Kerala, Tamil Nadu: Apex court - May 04, 2012
- Mullaperiyar panel gets two-month extension (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Mullaperiyar panel gets two-month extension - Feb 27, 2012
- We will continue our demand for a new dam: Chandy - May 09, 2012
- Moves to defuse Mullaperiyar dispute - Dec 05, 2011
- 'Justice Thomas should have stood up for Kerala on Mullaperiyar' - May 06, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu will send police to protect Mullaperiyar' - May 27, 2012
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Apex court seeks centre's response (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Kerala acting against constitution on Mullaperiyar: Tamil Nadu - Feb 05, 2011
- Kerala promises Mullaperiyar's protection, Tamil Nadu's 'no' to meet - Dec 15, 2011
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Supreme Court seeks centre's response - Dec 13, 2011
- Court panel to review Mullaperiyar dam - Feb 18, 2010
- Tamil Nadu has executed major work at Mullaperiyar: Kerala - Nov 09, 2010
- The troubled waters around Mullaperiyar: a ready reckoner - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, bench, chief justice of india, engineer, independent representative, jain, justice a s anand, kerala government, member committee, mullaperiyar dam, New Delhi, supervision, supreme court, upkeep