Apex court asked to extend mining ban in KarnatakaAugust 19th, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday issued notice to the Karnataka government and private miners on the report of a court-appointed panel seeking suspension of mining activities in the state’s Chitradurga and Tumkur districts.
The apex court’s forest bench of Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Swatanter Kumar issued the notice after the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) on environmental matters, in its report, said the July 29, 2011 order suspending mining activities in the state’s Bellary district be extended to Chitradurga and Tumkur.
The court has posted the matter for interim order on next Friday.
In its report, the CEC said the level of illegality and environmental degradation caused in Chitradurga and Tumkur was in no way less than what had taken place in Bellary district.
The report follows the apex court order asking it to carry out Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) in Chitradurga and Tumkur districts.
The CEC in its report has drawn the attention of the court to the large scale mining in Chitradurga and Tumkur districts and the consequent environmental degradation. The report said that mining activity was being carried out in the two districts without keeping in view the principle of inter-generational equity.
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines - Apr 13, 2012
- Supreme Court bans mining in Karnataka's Tumkur, Chitradurga - Aug 26, 2011
- Apex court may ban mining in 3 Karnataka districts - Jul 15, 2011
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Illegal mining by Adani, Jindal group to be probed: Apex court - Nov 18, 2011
- Mining ban stays if miners don't cooperate: Apex court - Aug 19, 2011
- Apex court suspends 10 mining leases in Karnataka (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Supreme Court pulls up committee on Karnataka mine report - May 06, 2011
- CBI probe recommended against Yeddyurappa kin (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Iron ore mining set to resume in Karnataka (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- SC asks CBI to probe if Yeddyurappa kin got kickbacks (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- No resumption of Karnataka mining without rehabilitation: Apex court - Aug 17, 2012
- Government wants Andhra mine iron ore sale ban till CBI probe - May 03, 2011
- Order on CEC plea for CBI probe against Yeddyurappa withheld - Apr 20, 2012
- Apex court partially lifts mining ban in Bellary - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: aftab, alam, apex, apex court, bellary, cec, chief justice, chitradurga, eia, environmental degradation, environmental impact assessment, environmental matters, generational equity, illegality, kapadia, karnataka government, miners, New Delhi, next friday, tumkur