Another loggerhead turtle found off Mumbai coastJuly 2nd, 2008 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 2 (IANS) A rare loggerhead sea turtle - usually not spotted near India - was found entangled in a fishing net along the Mumbai coast Wednesday, in the second such instance this week. A fisherman from the Colaba fishing village in south Mumbai found the animal in his net and handed it over in an injured state to the Bai Sakarbai Dinshaw Petit Hospital for animals in Parel in south central Mumbai in the afternoon. It was identified there as a loggerhead sea turtle.
J.C.Khanna, secretary of the Bombay Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA), told IANS: “The fishermen immediately reported this to us and we rushed to take note of the rescued marine turtle.”
The loggerhead turtle was about two feet in length, one and a half feet wide and weighed around 200 kg.
“The front legs of the turtle were injured and its shell had developed a crack,” he added.
He said so far two loggerhead turtles have been rescued from the city coastline. “We rescued one turtle from Juhu beach in north Mumbai late Sunday night.”
Khanna feels these turtles might have been washed away by ocean currents to the Mumbai coastline.
According to BSPCA, these turtles are normally not spotted on the Indian coast. Loggerhead turtles usually nest and move around the Mediterranean and the US where their largest concentration is near Florida.
- Study On Deep Sea Turtles Show Interesting Results - Jan 20, 2011
- Oil poisoning? Alarming sea animal deaths on India's west coast (With Images) - Apr 07, 2012
- Over 30 turtles found dead in Guatemala - Jul 22, 2010
- As rare Olive Ridleys mate, Orissa mounts vigil - Dec 21, 2010
- Orissa bans fishing near turtle nesting sites - Nov 01, 2011
- Loggerhead Turtles May Be Put In Endangered Category - Mar 12, 2010
- Conservation tourism? Goa shows way - with turtles! - Apr 27, 2010
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Turtle helps save its namesake species - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian Coast Guard rescues a police boat off Mumbai coast - Jul 01, 2009
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Sea turtle hatchlings rescued from oil spill released into the Atlantic Ocean - Aug 03, 2010
- Adrift ship MT Pavit an aberration, says navy chief - Aug 20, 2011
- The Navy, Coast Guard tries to contain oil spill off Mumbai coast - Aug 09, 2010
- How young migrating turtles find their way back home - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: bai, central mumbai, coastline, cruelty to animals, fisherman, fishermen, fishing net, fishing village, loggerhead sea turtle, loggerhead turtle, loggerhead turtles, marine turtle, ocean currents, parel, prevention of cruelty to animals, sea turtle, south mumbai, turtle, turtles, two feet