Another cold day in Delhi, slight respite ahead (Lead)January 6th, 2011 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) Icy winds from the northern regions kept temperatures below average here Thursday, but the weatherman has predicted a slight respite in the coming days.Thursday’s maximum temperature was 14.5 degrees Celsius, six notches below the average for this time of the season, while the minimum was at 5.3 degrees, two notches below average, an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The humidity levels oscillated between a high of 91 percent and a low of 55 percent.
According to the weather office, Friday would be a clear day with chilly and foggy mornings and evening.
However, Delhiites can expect some relief in the coming days.
According to the IMD, the next few days will see a slight rise in temperatures coupled with change in wind direction, which will further arrest the dip in mercury levels.
“For the past one week, cold conditions have prevailed due to icy winds coming from northern hills, but now this is replaced by western winds. So Delhiites can expect mild sunshine and the chilly wave would be less severe,” the IMD official said.
The official added that the icy winds were the result of snowfall in the hilly regions of north India.
“The wind direction is expected to change from Friday, as a result of which minimum temperature will remain around five degrees Celsius and maximum will hover around 15 degrees for the next few days,” the IMD official said.
Tuesday was Delhi’s coldest day of this winter season. The minimum temperature plummeted to 3.7 degrees Celsius while the maximum did not rise above 12.7 degrees, the season’s lowest in both cases.
- Another cold day in Delhi, slight respite ahead (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Chilly morning in Delhi, sunny day ahead - Dec 22, 2011
- Delhi shivers on Lohri, clear day ahead (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Chilly day in Delhi, clear Thursday in store (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Sunny, pleasant Friday in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Chilly start to Sunday for Delhi - Dec 11, 2011
- Chilly Sunday in Delhi - Jan 22, 2012
- Chilly morning, warm day for Delhiites (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Clear sky in Delhi, sunny day ahead - Jan 23, 2012
- Sunny but chilly day in Delhi (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Pleasant, sunny Sunday in Delhi - Feb 26, 2012
- Pleasant Saturday in Delhi, Sunday to be warmer (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Coldest Feb 9 in five years, chill to continue Friday (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Nippy winds sweep Delhi, mercury to drop - Dec 12, 2010
- Drizzle in Delhi, fog likely Monday (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: cold conditions, cold day, coldest day, five degrees, foggy mornings, hilly regions, humidity levels, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, maximum temperature, mercury levels, minimum temperature, north india, northern regions, notches, time of the season, weather office, weatherman, wind direction, winter season