Animals to be banned from British circusesApril 3rd, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 3 (IANS) Animals will soon be banned from circuses in Britain under the government’s new plans, a media report said Sunday.
Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman has been told by animal rights experts that forcing the creatures to perform tricks for audiences was wrong.
She was also told that making the animals travel thousands of miles every year in “cramped lorry trailers” was harmful to their welfare, according to the Daily Express.
Animal Welfare Minister Jim Paice recently told MPs that a new policy was “close to completion”. Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg also favours such a move, it said.
Ros Clubb, scientist with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), which called for the ban, said: “It’s about time that in Britain we showed we really are a nation of animal lovers.”
Recently, undercover footage broadcast on television showed a trainer at the Bobby Roberts circus beating a 59-year-old Asian elephant named Anne with a pitchfork and kicking her.
- British minister jeered for not banning circus animals acts - May 20, 2011
- Britain mulls hosepipe ban - Feb 20, 2012
- Britain to ban wild animals from circuses - Mar 01, 2012
- Paltrow sells lemonade, cookies - Jul 08, 2011
- Greece to ban animals in circuses - Mar 31, 2011
- Ban elephants in circus, says PETA - Sep 17, 2012
- Cat survives 190-km ride on train's underside - Jun 14, 2012
- Briton suspected of cruelty to cat surrenders - Nov 12, 2011
- Britons held for cramming 69 animals in one house - Mar 31, 2012
- ‘Water For Elephants’ – What Does The First Trailer Reveal? - Dec 17, 2010
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- 13 dogs poisoned to death in Britain - May 30, 2011
- Animal sanctuary that supplied owls for Potter film lands in trouble - Oct 14, 2010
- Love me, love my pony too? No way! - May 20, 2011
- 'Water For Elephants' Trailer Starring Robert Pattinson Hits Web, Fans Go Berserk! - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: animal lovers, animal rights, animal welfare, asian elephant, audiences, bobby roberts, broadcast, circus, circuses, creatures, cruelty to animals, daily express, deputy prime minister, elephant, environment secretary, paice, pitchfork, prevention of cruelty to animals, scientist, spelman