Andres first hurricane of 2009 pounds MexicoJune 24th, 2009 - 4:26 am ICT by John Le Fevre
The first hurricane warning of the 2009 season was issued earlier today when Tropical Storm Andres developed into a full-scale category one hurricane with winds of around 70 mph (113 kph) and began pounding Mexico’s Pacific coast.
Residents and business from Punta San Telmo up to Cabo Corrientes along the southwestern coast of Mexico were instructed to take steps to protect their property as Andres brushed the Mexico coast.
At 11pm (1800 GMT) the US National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami said Andres was about 55 miles (85 km) south-southwest of the port and beach resort of Manzanillo and moving northeast at 12 mph (19 kph), having picked up speed as it moved closer to shore.
Heavy rain flooded parts of the beach resort of Acapulco on Monday and a man in his mid-thirties was swept away by a wave as he stood waist-deep in the sea in a nearby town fishing with a line.
In Acapulco schools were suspended and authorities evacuated more than 150 families, also shutting the port of Lazaro Cardena.
The NHC warned there could be more coastal flooding and dangerous waves before Andres moves back out to sea.
- Tropical storm Beatriz forms off the Pacific coast of Mexico; hurricane watch issued - Jun 20, 2011
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Hurricane Rick Escalates Into Category 5 Storm - Oct 18, 2009
- Dora weakens to Category 1 Hurricane - Jul 22, 2011
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Tropical Storm Eugene forms in the Pacific, no threat to land - Jul 31, 2011
- Mexico, US launch programme to detect nuclear materials - Jul 26, 2012
- Tropical Storm Eugene is far away from Mexico - Aug 02, 2011
- Five women decapitated in Mexican city - Apr 25, 2011
- 250 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Tropical storm Rina could strengthen in the next couple of days - Oct 24, 2011
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- Hurricane Jova to strike Mexico soon - Oct 11, 2011
- Hurricane Darby becomes category three storm off Mexico's southern coast - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: acapulco, coast residents, coastal flooding, corrientes, dangerous waves, heavy rain, hurricane warning, kph, lazaro, mexico coast, mid thirties, national hurricane center, nearby town, nhc, pacific coast, s pacific, scale category, south southwest, southwestern coast, tropical storm