Amul to plant 6.5 mn saplings on Independence DayAugust 5th, 2008 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Aug 4 (IANS) Members of the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), popularly known as Amul, will plant 6.5 million saplings on Independence Day Aug 15 to preserve the environment. “Sixty-five lakh (6.5 million) trees will be planted on a single day on Independence Day to preserve the environment. It is planned that each farmer of the dairy cooperative would plant three trees,” B.M. Vyas, managing director of the co-operative, said.
This novel ecological venture is a continuation of the process initiated last year Aug 15. The mission of planting trees per member was coordinated by around 12,600 village dairy cooperative societies comprising 13 member unions of GCMMF.
Farmer members had planted 1.9 million saplings trees across 19 districts of Gujarat.
After six months, it was found that of the total planted trees nearly 50 percent had survived.
According to statistics of the forest survey of India, Gujarat has lost close to 100 sq km of forest area due to human activity. This is 13 percent of the national loss of 728 sq km of forest area.
- AMUL plants 10 million trees in Gujarat under Amul Green Campaign on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- GCMMF announces record sales of Rs. 8005 crores - Aug 18, 2010
- Verghese Kurien: the architect of India's White Revolution (Obituary) - Sep 09, 2012
- Amul to revamp its chocolate products - May 24, 2012
- Israel Consul General visits GCMMF, Amul Dairy - Oct 08, 2010
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- Vyas retires from Gujarat milk cooperative - Jun 30, 2010
- Punjab to plant over one crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 27, 2011
- Delhi to increase its green cover: Dikshit - Mar 21, 2011
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
- Amul notches Rs.6,700 crore turnover - Apr 02, 2009
- Bihar set to turn green, politicians to plant trees - Aug 11, 2011
- Amul inspires Kashmir milk farmers - Jan 13, 2009
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Delhi starts planting one million trees (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
Tags: 5 million, continuation, cooperative societies, farmer members, forest area, forest survey, gujarat, independence day, India, managing director, marketing federation, member unions, milk marketing, planting trees, saplings, single day, six months, three trees, village dairy, vyas