Allahabad High Court stalls Ganga ExpresswayMay 29th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 29 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court Friday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to put the ambitious Ganga Expressway project on hold till it obtains fresh environmental clearance.
The court order came after hearing petitions filed by the Vindh Environmental Society (VEM), Mirzapur and the Hindu Mahasabha, questioning the environmental feasibility of the project.
“The High court quashed the earlier environmental clearance of the project and directed the state government to get the same following necessary provisions laid under section (3) of the Environmental Protection Act,” VEM counsel Rahul Mishra told IANS on the telephone.
Mishra said they had contended that the state government bypassed norms and other rules to get the environmental clearance from the UP State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority, which was constituted following a notification issued by the central government Sept 14, 2006 and entrusted with the task of environment assessment.
The Mayawati cabinet January 2008 had approved the Rs.40,000-crore (Rs.400 billion), 1,047-km long Ganga Expressway, which would link Noida to Ballia, passing through 19 districts along the banks of the river.
Expressing concern over the environmental feasibility of the expressway, Hindu Mahasabha counsel Arun Kumar Gupta said: “The industrial units that are proposed to come up parallel to the expressway would pose a danger for the river as there will be a continuous threat of effluents being released into the river.”
The VEM’s suit was filed April 2008 and the Hindu Mahasbha’s in March 2008.
- High curt orders a stop to all work on Ganga Expressway - Nov 09, 2009
- Allahabad High Court stalls Ganga Expressway project - May 30, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh ignoring court orders on Ganga Expressway: Activist - Jun 12, 2009
- Capacity of hydropower plants on Ganga to be reduced: Natarajan (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Madras High Court reserves order on Kudankulam - Aug 23, 2012
- Madras HC seeks details of Kudankulam power project - Aug 21, 2012
- Ganga Expressway's construction on lines of GFCA's recommendation - May 30, 2009
- New body for environmental clearances: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Ganga activists threaten to re-launch campaign - May 14, 2012
- India signs agreement with World Bank to clean Ganga - Jun 14, 2011
- 'New thermal power plants to escalate Vidarbha farm crisis' - Aug 08, 2012
- Green tribunal stops Himachal hydropower project - Jul 29, 2011
- Court dismisses Vedanta plea for refinery expansion (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Rajendra Singh threatens to stop Ganga Expressway - Nov 17, 2008
- Court frowns on ministers over Kudankulam launch date - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: allahabad high court, arun kumar, assessment authority, banks of the river, continuous threat, effluents, environment assessment, environment impact assessment, environmental clearance, environmental feasibility, environmental protection act, environmental society, expressway project, hindu mahasabha, level environment, Mayawati, mirzapur, necessary provisions, rs 40, uttar pradesh government