Al Gore says climate skeptics are living in denialAugust 10th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Former Vice President of the United States Al Gore has said climate skeptics are living in the denial. He argued that they have employed similar tactics that tobacco smokers and manufacturers adopted some time ago when it was reported that smoking has health implications.
During an address at the Aspen Institute forum in Colorado on Thursday, Gore said that, “Some of the exact same people… And so what do they do? They pay pseudo-scientists to pretend to be scientists to put out the message: ‘This climate thing, it’s nonsense. Man-made CO2 doesn’t trap heat. It’s not — It may be volcanoes.’ Bullshit! ‘It may be sun spots.’ Bullshit! ‘It’s not getting warmer.’ Bullshit!”
Gore has become a climate advocate since he stepped out of office. His bid for the highest office in the United States failed in 2000 when former president George Bush beat him in the closest election in the history of the United States.
During the address of the forum, it was reported that Gore spent more than 1 hour speaking about range of topics. The sensitive nature of comparing tobacco to climate is what made it to the media.
- Icelandic volcanic eruption unlikely to have global effects: Scientist - Apr 17, 2010
- Supporting tobacco control in India through media (Comment) - May 31, 2011
- Mizoram launches 'No smoking' campaign - Jul 03, 2011
- Water flowing into Arctic warmest in 2,000 years - Feb 01, 2011
- Al Gore to launch global climate crisis campaign - Jul 13, 2011
- Asteroid to have a near miss with Earth - Jan 27, 2012
- Scientist offers better ways to engineer Earth's climate to prevent global warming - Sep 08, 2010
- Mizoram get tough against tobacco use and drug abuse - Oct 08, 2011
- Unexpectedly Greenland is experiencing warm weather - Dec 22, 2010
- Mizoram campaigns for 'smoking free' state - Feb 11, 2011
- Poor people are most hard-hit by TB, COPD and tobacco - Nov 06, 2010
- China should use state monopoly for tobacco control:WHO - May 31, 2011
- East Anglia University climate scientists cleared by inquiry - Apr 15, 2010
- Tobacco firm underplayed dangers of smoking - Jan 09, 2012
- Study reveals that Female smokers have higher risk of heart disease - Aug 15, 2011
Tags: al gore, aspen institute, climate, closest election, former president george bush, former vice president, george bush, health implications, history of the united states, institute forum, living in denial, nonsense, president george bush, president of the united states, sensitive nature, skeptics, sun spots, tobacco smokers, trap heat, vice president of the united states