Akshay Kumar brand ambassador of IIFA’s ‘green movement’June 17th, 2008 - 8:16 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 16 (IANS) Bollywood star Akshay Kumar has been named the brand ambassador of International Indian Film Academy’s (IIFA) Green Global Foundation, which champions the issue of global warming through various international events. “Being the brand ambassador for the Green Globe Foundation is a great honour for me as it gives me an opportunity to highlight the fight against global warming,” the actor said in Mumbai Monday.
In an attempt to strengthen its commitment towards fighting the issue of climate change, IIFA launched the Green Global Foundation this year.
The foundation is the initiative of IIFA and Wizcraft International Entertainment.
United Nations Environmental Programme and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), headed by R.K. Pachauri, are the partners of the foundation.
In a symbolic gesture towards the climate change issue, instead of the usual red carpet reception to the celebrities, the IIFA had a green carpet reception at the IIFA Weekend in Bangkok this year.
As a symbol of their support to the movement against global warming, IIFA brand ambassador Amitabh Bachchan and Thailand Minister for Tourism and Sports Khun Weerasak Kowsurat planted a sapling at the inauguration venue of the event.
- Abhishek to receive award from Arnie - Feb 01, 2012
- We will miss Mr. Bachchan at IIFA: Anil Kapoor - Mar 04, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan no longer IIFA brand ambassador - Jan 17, 2011
- TERI to open centre in Himachal - Feb 09, 2012
- Vancouver bids to host IIFA in 2013 - Nov 14, 2011
- PETA requests IIFA, Bachchan to promote vegetarian food - May 26, 2009
- Bollywood's young blood to rock IIFA in Singapore (Curtain Raiser) - Jun 06, 2012
- Bachchan evacuated from London hotel following suspected explosion - Jan 18, 2011
- Shah Rukh Khan not skipping IIFA Awards - Jun 21, 2011
- Now IIFA wants to organise 'weekend' for southern industry - Dec 02, 2011
- SRK or Vivaan Bhatena, everyone was a star in Toronto! - Jun 27, 2011
- Like Oscars, IIFA doesn't need brand ambassador: Anil Kapoor - Jun 16, 2011
- IIFA Awards 2011 going to Canada - Dec 10, 2009
- TERI's Pachauri gets Mexican humanitarian award - Jun 18, 2012
- Will attend IIFA if we're free: Abhishek Bachchan - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: akshay kumar, ambassador, amitabh bachchan, bollywood star, carpet reception, climate change issue, film academy, global foundation, global warming, globe foundation, green globe, inauguration, indian film, international entertainment, khun, red carpet, resources institute, sapling, symbolic gesture, wizcraft