Agra has first monsoon showers, plunges in darknessJuly 6th, 2012 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, July 6 (IANS) The long-awaited monsoon showers which finally hit the Taj city Thursday evening and brought down the temperature by nine degrees Celsius, also spelt a major power break-down that plunged the whole city into darkness.
Agra recorded a rainfall of 9.8 mm Thursday night, which pushed the humidity to 100 percent, according to weather office here.
“We were expecting rains since morning but it was not until around six in the evening that the downpour begun. However, the power break down was a big let down,” said Sudhier Gupta of Vijay Nagar colony in Agra.
While farmers in Fatehabad, Kheragarh, Bah, Etmadpur and Kiraoli tehsils of the district were jubilant, residents of the Taj city took to SMSes to exchange greetings and welcome the “happy first showers”.
“At last the rain god smiled on Agra. We were fearing the worst,” said Ravi Singh, a farmer from Barauli Ahir block.
The rainy spell will continue for another two days, according to the weather office in the state capital Lucknow.
“This should help speed up agricultural operations which had been delayed for a while,” Ravi said.
Around 45 minutes of heavy rains inundated low-lying areas in the city.
Agra had been struggling with water and power shortages for the past one month. The private discom Torrent hoped the downpour would ease pressure on power demand in the city.
- Rain brings cheer to Agra farmers - Jul 30, 2012
- Heavy rains cause traffic snarls, power breakdowns in Agra - Jul 10, 2012
- Taj city lashed by heavy showers - Sep 10, 2012
- Heavy showers lash Agra - May 19, 2011
- West UP farmers upbeat after monsoon rains - Sep 01, 2012
- Heavy showers lash Taj city - Feb 15, 2011
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- Rain worries farmers in western UP - Apr 12, 2012
- Heavy downpour signals trouble for potato farmers - Feb 16, 2011
- Thunderstorm leaves trail of destruction in Taj city - May 22, 2011
- Rain ushers in 2012 in Agra - Jan 01, 2012
- Agra residents angry over erratic power supply - Dec 26, 2011
- Yamuna nears danger mark in Agra - Aug 28, 2010
- More rains add to Agra's woes - Sep 17, 2012
- Power woes: Sonia's whisper stronger than SC order - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: 8 mm, agricultural operations, break down, darkness, discom, downpour, exchange greetings, farmers, gupta, heavy rains, humidity, monsoon showers, power shortages, rain god, rainfall, ravi singh, thursday night, torrent, water and power, weather