After tigress, Priyanka adopts lionessJune 2nd, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 2 (IANS) After tigress Durga, Bollywood’s ‘junglee billi’ Priyanka Chopra has adopted lioness Sundari of Ranchi’s Birsa Munda zoo, an official said Saturday.
“We have received a cheque of Rs.200,000 from Priyanka Chopra foundation. She has adopted lioness Sundari,” a zoo official told IANS.
The contract will last till April 30, 2013. The official said Priyanka had adopted tigress Durga last year. That contract ended April 30.
Last year the Ranchi zoo introduced a scheme for adoption of animals. One can adopt any animal for a period of one year to 11 years.
The money is used for the upkeep of the animals and to create awareness about wildlife.
Besides individuals, some corporate houses and public sector undertakings have adopted elephants, peacock, tigers and leopards.
- Will Dhoni adopt a tiger please! - May 03, 2011
- Room heaters, bonfires keep Ranchi's zoo animals warm - Jan 07, 2011
- Looking for Birsa Munda-112 years after his death (With Images) - Jun 08, 2012
- Bhagwan Birsa Zoo in Jharkhand launches animal adoption programme - Nov 20, 2010
- Leopard, lion die in Bangalore zoo - Oct 24, 2010
- Wanted: a match for a female tiger - Feb 12, 2009
- Bhopal office of SBI adopts tigress (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 01, 2010
- Bihar office of SBI adopts tigress - Feb 01, 2010
- Jogi for CBI probe into wildlife killings - Nov 21, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cubs found in Tripura - Apr 09, 2011
- Wildlife guardians: Adoptions rise at Van Vihar (With Image) - Jun 22, 2011
- Peacock escapes from Central Park zoo - Aug 03, 2011
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
- Three lion cubs die at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 11 years, adoption of animals, billi, birsa munda, bollywood, cheque, corporate houses, elephants, junglee, leopards, lioness, peacock, priyanka chopra, public sector undertakings, rs 200, sundari, tigers, tigress, upkeep, zoo