90 killed in Iran quakeAugust 12th, 2012 - 1:57 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 90 people were killed after an earthquake hit northwestern Iran Saturday, the Fars news agency reported.
Two powerful tremors measuring 6.4 and 6.3 on the Richter scale struck Saturday near the towns of Tabriz and Ahar with their epicentres registered at a depth of 9.8 km, according to the US Geological Survey.
“Our access to villages have been cut and we can only contact them by radio transceiver,” Mahmoud Mozaffar, head of the Iranian Rescue and Relief Organisation, told the Mehr news agency.
He said helicopters and rescuers were on their way to villages.
The quakes were also registered in neighbouring Azerbaijan but no casualties were reported.
The deadliest quake in Iran was in June 1990, which measured 7.7 points on the Richter scale. About 37,000 people were killed and more than 100,000 injured in the northern provinces of Gilan and Zanjan. The quake devastated 27 towns and about 1,870 villages, according to IRNA news agency.
- Quake felt 70 km from Iranian nuclear plant - Feb 05, 2012
- 250 killed, 1,800 injured in Iran quakes - Aug 12, 2012
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- 40 killed in Iran quake - Aug 11, 2012
- Russia-made amphibious plane crashes in Iran - Jul 30, 2012
- Iran twin quake toll rises to 306 - Aug 13, 2012
- Iran earthquake toll rises to 306 dead, more than 3,000 injured - Aug 14, 2012
- More quakes forecast in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Iran reports arrests of 'several' US spies - Jan 09, 2012
- Japan n-plant in emergency shutdown - Mar 11, 2011
- Iran threatens to cut oil exports to more countries - Feb 21, 2012
- Blast hits Russia-bound Azerbaijan pipeline - Apr 14, 2012
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran building 'anti-terror' fence on Pakistan border - Apr 15, 2011
- 19 killed in Iran traffic accident - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: ahar, casualties, earthquake, fars news agency, gilan, helicopters, iran quake, mahmoud, mehr news agency, neighbouring, northern provinces, northwestern iran, quakes, radio transceiver, rescuers, ria novosti, richter scale, tabriz, tremors, us geological survey