80 tourists still stranded in Himachal districtSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 23 (IANS) At least 80 tourists, including 16 foreigners, who were stranded in Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur district for the past few days, could not be airlifted Thursday owing to bad weather, an official said.
They were stuck as landslides triggered by heavy rains damaged the road connectivity to Sangla village, which has been cut off from the rest of the country.
“We will again try to airlift the tourists tomorrow (Friday) morning,” Deputy Commissioner Mamta Chaudhary told IANS.
The 16 foreign tourists include those from Germany, Holland, Israel and Brazil.
“We have provided all logistic support to the tourists. They are in good health,” Mamta Chaudhary said.
Another official said road connectivity leading to Pooh village in the district was also hampered Thursday near Reckong Peo.
“A huge rock fell over the National Highway-21, resulting in wiping out of a huge portion of the road,” the official said.
However, the Met department in Shimla said the district saw mild rainfall Thursday after two days of heavy rainfall.
- 40 stranded tourists airlifted in Himachal Pradesh - Sep 24, 2010
- 35 tourists stranded as Himachal valley still cut off - Sep 25, 2010
- Kolkata tourists rescued in Himachal - Jan 02, 2011
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Himachal gets relief from heavy rainfall (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Himachal's Sangla Valley reopens for motorists - Sep 26, 2010
- Tourists from Kolkata stranded in Himachal - Sep 21, 2010
- Some Himachal places may get heavy rains again - Sep 23, 2010
- Over 100 tourists stranded in Himachal due to snow - Dec 31, 2010
- Kolkata tourists still stranded in Himachal hills - Jan 01, 2011
- Landslides cut off Kinnaur from Shimla - Jun 17, 2011
- Hundreds of tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Rain fury in north India, rivers in spate (Roundup) - Sep 23, 2010
- Snow struck? Check before you travel to high hills of Himachal - Jan 05, 2011
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: airlift, bad weather, brazil, connectivity, deputy commissioner, few days, foreigners, friday morning, good health, heavy rains, himachal pradesh, holland, israel, kinnaur district, landslides, logistic support, mamta, peo, rainfall, tourists