8 more die in Uttar Pradesh cold, toll rises to 90January 10th, 2011 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 10 (IANS) At least eight more people died in different parts of Uttar Pradesh over the last 24 hours, taking the winter toll to 90 in the state, an official said Monday.Severe cold wave continued to sweep the state, making it difficult for pavement dwellers and destitutes to fight the winter chill.
Sidharthnagar, Hardoi and Kannauj districts reported two deaths each Monday while Gonda and Fatehpur districts one each, according to an official of the state disaster management department.
With no sign of respite from the cold, the authorities have ordered all educational institutions in the state closed till Jan 15.
Air, road and rail traffic was affected Mondayb as fog covered Lucknow in the morning. Many trains are running well behind the schedule and many have been cancelled, a railway official told IANS.
Etawah was the coldest town in Uttar Pradesh Monday at 2 degrees and Gorakhpur in the east was comparatively warmer at 7.2 degrees minimum.
The maximum temperature hung below 15 in most cities across the state.
- Heat wave kills 16 in UP - Jun 18, 2012
- Cold takes 6 more lives in UP; toll rises to 69 - Jan 08, 2011
- Second cold spell in Uttar Pradesh after incessant rains - Jan 01, 2012
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Cold wave kills 12 in Uttar Pradesh, toll reaches 48 - Jan 05, 2011
- Seven people die of cold in UP, toll at 117 - Jan 13, 2011
- Cold wave kills two in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 30, 2010
- Cold wave takes 13 more lives in UP, toll 103 - Jan 11, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh winter toll 103, sunny day in north India (Intro Roundup) - Jan 11, 2011
- 12 die in UP, Bhopal sees frost as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- UP's winter toll 103, sunny day in north India (Roundup) - Jan 11, 2011
- Sun brings cheer to many, but cold wave continues in north India (Round) - Jan 12, 2011
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India, 30 dead in UP (Intro Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Sunny day brings respite for north India, but chill persists (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: cold wave, deaths, disaster management, educational institutions, fatehpur, fog, gonda, gorakhpur, hardoi, kannauj, lucknow, management department, maximum temperature, pavement dwellers, rail traffic, railway official, respite from, state disaster, trains, winter chill