7.4 Magnitude eartiquake strikes off Honduras coast, Tsunami warning in effectMay 28th, 2009 - 3:48 pm ICT by admin
A quake of 7.4 magnitude strikes 27 miles off Roatan, Honduras according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC), operated by NOAA has issued a Tsunami warning for Honduras, Belize and Guatemala.
A snippet from the bulletin:
A destructive widespread Tsunami threat does not exist based on historical earthquake and Tsunami data.
However - there is the possibility of a local tsunami that could affect coasts located usually no more than a hundred kilometers from the earthquake epicenter. authorities for the region near the epicenter should be aware of this possibility. areas further from the epicenter could experience small sea level changes and strong or unusual coastal currents.
- Major earthquake strikes off the Philippines, tsunami warnings issued - Aug 31, 2012
- Earthquake Of Magnitude 6.9 Hits Solomon Islands - Jun 26, 2010
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warnings - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Earthquake Of Magnitude 7.2 Hits Temuco, Chile - Jan 03, 2011
- No reports of damage after powerful quake strikes the Gulf of California - Oct 22, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: belize, coastal currents, coasts, earthquake epicenter, kilometers, magnitude, noaa, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, quake, roatan honduras, sea level changes, snippet, strikes, tsunami, tsunami data, tsunami threat, tsunami warning center, united states geological, united states geological survey