70,000 evacuated in China following typhoon threatJuly 28th, 2008 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Hangzhou, July 28 (Xinhua) Authorities in east China’s Zhejiang province Monday moved some 70,000 people to safety and called back more than 12,000 fishing boats as typhoon Fung Wong approached. Typhoon Fung Wong, which was lashing Taiwan Monday morning, continued to head toward the China coast, the observatory at Zhejiang said.
Fung Wong, the eighth tropical storm to hit China’s coast this year, is set to sweep across the Taiwan Straits Monday and is expected to make landfall between Xiapu and Jinjiang counties in neighbouring Fujian at midnight.
Fung Wong will be the strongest tropical storm so far this year, and is likely to strike along China’s eastern and southern regions with heavy rain and strong winds, observatories in Fujian, Guangdong, Zhejiang and Jiangxi provinces said.
The provinces issued the second highest alerts.
Ferries between China and Taiwan were suspended for at least two days because of the typhoon, said the Fuzhou frontier inspection station.
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Typhoon Morakot weakens, leaves trail of destruction in China - Aug 10, 2009
- China raises typhoon alert - Sep 19, 2010
- Over 150,000 Chinese evacuated as Typhoon Megi approaches - Oct 22, 2010
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- 50 dead, 42 missing in China floods - Jun 30, 2012
- Typhoon Kalmaegi hits China, leaves 13 killed in Taiwan (Lead) - Jul 18, 2008
- One killed, thousands flee as typhoon Morakot hits China (Lead) - Aug 09, 2009
- Typhoon Morakot causes widespread destruction in China (Second lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Typhoon Haikui affects 1 mn in China - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: china coast, east china, ferries, fishing boats, fujian, guangdong, hangzhou, heavy rain, jiangxi, jinjiang, landfall, monday morning, observatory, southern regions, strong winds, taiwan straits, tropical storm, typhoon, xinhua, zhejiang province