70,000 cyclone-hit people in Andhra relief campsMay 21st, 2010 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 21 (IANS) Over 70,000 people have been evacuated and moved to 300 relief camps in cyclone-hit coastal Andhra Pradesh.
A majority of these people were evacuated in four south costal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and Nellore.
An official statement Friday said 170,000 food packets and 6.34 lakh water sachets were distributed in the relief camps.
According to officials, 17 people have been killed since the cyclone Laila hit the coast Thursday. Besides, 10 people have been killed in rain related incidents since Tuesday.
Krishna district accounted for seven deaths. While four people were killed in Nellore, Guntur accounted for three deaths, East Godavari two and Prakasham one. Three people are missing.
According to a preliminary report, 5,800 hectares of agricultural and 6,060 hectares of horticulture crops were damaged.
Fishermen have lost 262 boats. The statement said 260 boats were lost in Prakasham district. About 1,450 boats were damaged in seven districts.
The strong gales and heavy rains damaged 108 electric substations affecting electricity supply in 1,047 villages. Officials said 85 houses were fully damaged while 187 were damaged partly.
- Respite for coastal Andhra as cyclone weakens (Lead) - May 21, 2010
- Respite for coastal Andhra as cyclone weakens (Second Lead) - May 21, 2010
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclone-hit Andhra hopeful of liberal central aid - May 23, 2010
- Two killed, crops damaged as rains lash Andhra - Dec 07, 2010
- 'Cyclone Laila' cripples life in coastal Andhra, Tamil Nadu - May 19, 2010
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 16 killed in rains (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Heavy rain, gale in south coastal Andhra - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Laila wreaks havoc in Andhra, armed forces called in (Intro Roundup) - May 21, 2010
- Storm Laila wreaks havoc in Andhra, heads to Orissa (Roundup) - May 20, 2010
- Heavy rains lash coastal Andhra as Cyclone Laila nears the shore - May 19, 2010
- 14 killed in Andhra rains, standing crops damaged - Dec 08, 2010
- Laila hits Andhra coast, wrecks havoc (Second Lead) - May 20, 2010
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 20 killed in rains (Second Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, boats, cyclone, deaths, east godavari, electric substations, electricity supply, fishermen, food packets, guntur, heavy rains, hectares, horticulture crops, krishna district, laila, nellore, preliminary report, relief camps, sachets, strong gales