6.4 Earthquake hits off Japan’s east coastJune 18th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sendai, June 18 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An earthquake of a 6.4-magnitude has jolted the sea area off Japan’s east coast. Despite the high magnitude of this seism, which has affected Honshu, the main island of the Japanese territory, American experts have stated that no tsunami warning alert has been issued.
The US Geological Survey claims that the seism had a depth of 31 km. It struck at 5.32 am (20:32 GMT Sunday) at approximately 140 km east of the city of Sendai.
The earthquake was rated only 4 on the Japanese seven-point seismic scale. This suggested that there were no expectation of any significant damage and there have been no immediate reports of damage.
Last year, Japan experienced of the worst earthquakes of its history. In March 2011, an undersea quake of a 9.0 magnitude affected the northeast coast of the country, generating a monster tsunami.
More than 19,000 people died as a consequence of the natural disaster, which crippled the nuclear power plant situated in the prefecture of Fukushima, generating what became knows as the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, the largest nuclear disaster since the Chernobyl disaster of 1986.
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Japan: Thyroid gland irregularities found in evacuated youths from Fukushima - Oct 06, 2011
- Fukushima workers hospitalised with skin lesions after radiation exposure - Mar 24, 2011
- Japan tsunami toll likely to rise over 1,600 - Mar 12, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Japan royal couple visit tsunami-hit town Minamisanriku - Apr 27, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Japanese royal couple to visit Fukushima - May 11, 2011
- Radiation levels high in food, Japan fights n-fallout (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2011
- Japanese troops launch new search for quake victims - Apr 10, 2011
- Hundreds of bodies found after massive quake in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeastern Japan, no tsunami threat - Mar 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: american experts, chernobyl disaster, earthquake hits, east coast, expectation, honshu, japanese territory, magnitude, monster, natural disaster, nuclear disaster, nuclear power plant, prefecture, quake, sea area, seism, sendai, tsunami warning, us geological survey, worst earthquakes