6.2-magnitude quake rocks eastern IndonesiaOctober 13th, 2009 - 10:53 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Jakarta, Oct 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A powerful undersea earthquake of magnitude 6.2 on the Richter scale struck the northern tip of Sulawesi island on Tuesday. There were no immediate reports of injury and damage, meteorologists said.
The Indonesia quake occurred at a depth of 18 kilometers near the Talaud islands between Sulawesi and the southern Philippines happened at 6:38 pm Jakarta time (1138 GMT), the Indonesian Meteorology and Geophysics Agency said.
It said the earthquake thankfully did not trigger a tsunami, and the real extent of damage whether structural or in casualties is still awaited.
Indonesia is in a highly earthquake prone zone because it is located on the Pacific “Ring of Fire.” This geographical phenomenon is where the meeting of continental plates results in high volcanic and seismic activity very frequently. Recently, an earthquake jolted Indonesia on September 30th also.
Another powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake had struck at the same area on February 12, in which dozens of people were injured and it had also damaged hundreds of buildings, resulting in millions of loss to the public.
- 6.2-magnitude quake shakes islands off eastern Indonesia - Oct 13, 2009
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 24, 2010
- 6.3-magnitude quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 21, 2010
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 16, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes near Indonesia's Talaud Islands - May 07, 2010
- Magnitude 6.3 earthquake strikes off Sumatra island, Indonesia - May 29, 2011
- Major earthquake jolts Indonesia - Sep 19, 2009
- 6.2 earthquake shakes Indonesia - Mar 26, 2010
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009
- Powerful earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Sep 30, 2010
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia - May 08, 2010
- Strong earthquake jolts Indonesia - Sep 08, 2009
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: continental plates, eastern indonesia, february 12, geographical phenomenon, indonesia quake, jakarta time, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, meteorologists, meteorology, northern tip, pacific ring of fire, quake rocks, richter scale, ring of fire, seismic activity, southern philippines, sulawesi island, talaud islands, undersea earthquake