5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead)May 11th, 2012 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati/Shillong, May 11 (IANS) A 5.4 magnitude earthquake rocked Assam and Meghalaya Friday evening, triggering panic among locals. No casualties have been reported.
According to the Regional Seismological Centre in Shillong, the earthquake occurred at 6.11 p.m. The epicentre was at Nagaon in Assam.
The tremor was felt in almost all districts in Assam. Some buildings in Assam’s main city of Guwahati were seen to have developed cracks after the tremor.
In Meghalaya, the tremor created panic among locals. “Our apartment was literally swaying for close to about 15 seconds. We rushed out of our home in panic,” said Kester Thabah.
“People panicked and ran out of their homes and offices with buildings shaking for close to 20 seconds,” said John Sangma, who was on his way home from his office.
East Khasi Hills District Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal, said that there have been no reports of any damaged caused by the quake.
Moderate tremors were also felt in Kolkata, its surrounding districts and northern West Bengal.
The seven northeastern states - Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur - are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
The region experienced one of the worst earthquakes, measuring 8.7 on the Richter Scale in 1897 that claimed the lives of over 1,600 persons.
- Small earthquake rocks Assam - Feb 23, 2010
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake hits three northeastern states - Dec 12, 2010
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Assam, Bhutan - Dec 31, 2009
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake jolts northeast India - Aug 19, 2012
- Quake rocks northeast India - Nov 21, 2011
- Three quakes hit Meghalaya, Assam - Jul 27, 2010
- Quake rocks northeast, buildings damaged in Guwahati (Lead) - Dec 29, 2009
- Quake-hit Sikkim puts toll at 23, surveys horror - Sep 19, 2011
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- 5.6 magnitude quake hits Meghalaya - Mar 13, 2010
- Tremor jolts northeast, third quake in three weeks - Aug 31, 2009
- Moderate quake hits northeast India, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, deputy commissioner, district deputy, east khasi hills, epicentre, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, manipur, meghalaya, mizoram, nagaland, northeastern states, quake rocks, richter scale, seismological centre, seismologists, shillong, west bengal, worst earthquakes