45 killed in Philippines landslides, floodsFebruary 27th, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by admin
Manila, Feb 27 (DPA) At least 45 people have been killed and 10 others were missing in landslides and flash floods in the Philippines after heavy rains, relief and rescue officials said Wednesday. At least 19 people died in the eastern provinces of Albay, Sorsogon, Camarines sur, Camarines Norte and Catanduanes, collectively known as the Bicol region.
Fourteen people were killed in the worst hit province of Eastern Samar, 630 km southeast of Manila.
Twelve other people were reported killed in the provinces of Lanao del Norte, Biliran, Samar, Leyte, Capiz and Misamis Oriental.
Most of the fatalities either drowned or were buried in landslide, according to the National Disaster Coordinating Council.
More than 5,000 houses were either partially or totally destroyed and damages to property, infrastructure, and agriculture were estimated at 2.17 billion pesos ($54 million).
Official and non-governmental agencies rushed relief goods and rehabilitation efforts in the affected areas, taking advantage of the good weather during the past three days.
The weather bureau warned of a wet summer in the country during the year due to the La Nina weather phenomenon. It also said that more storms and typhoons could hit the country during the year.
- 16 dead as typhoon batters Philippines (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- Storm batters eastern Philippines, 12 dead, 15 missing (Lead) - May 03, 2009
- At least 20 dead in Philippines floods, landslides - Feb 22, 2008
- At least 10 killed as storm batters Philippines - May 03, 2009
- Death toll in Philippines' weather disasters rises to 26 - Feb 23, 2008
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- 25 killed as tropical storm hits Philippines - Jul 27, 2011
- Ahead of typhoon, Philippines placed under 'state of calamity' (Lead) - Oct 02, 2009
- Typhoon hits Philippines, kills one - Oct 31, 2009
- Four dead as Typhoon Conson batters Philippines - Jul 14, 2010
- 10 communist rebels killed in the Philippines - Sep 25, 2009
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- Four soldiers killed by rebels in Philippines - May 31, 2010
- 113 dead in Philippine landslides, floods (Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- Filipino-German beauty queen killed in accident - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: bicol region, biliran, capiz, eastern provinces, flash floods in the philippines, floods in the philippines, good weather, la nina weather, la nina weather phenomenon, lanao del norte, national disaster coordinating council, philippines landslides, province of eastern samar, provinces of lanao del norte, rehabilitation efforts, rescue officials, samar leyte, typhoons, weather bureau, wet summer