300 bits of plastic found inside dead turtleJuly 1st, 2011 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 1 (IANS) A giant sea turtle starved to death as its gut was choked with over 300 bits of plastic, it was reported here
Experts were horrified to find 317 pieces of rubbish, including bags, tape, lids and fishing line, reported the Sun.
The turtle was found dead on a beach in Australia.
“It just shows how much plastic there is out there in the ocean. The turtle’s digestive system just shut down,” marine biologist Rochelle Ferris was quoted as saying.
Sea turtle populations are increasingly in danger from pollution, and illegal fishing.
- Bits of plastic endangering sea creatures - Apr 18, 2012
- UAE film 'The Turtle' released on YouTube - Jun 06, 2012
- Marine bacteria digest plastic - Mar 29, 2011
- Plastic pollution in sea reaches alarming levels - Jul 05, 2012
- Britain's beaches 'drowning in plastic' - Mar 26, 2010
- Oil poisoning? Alarming sea animal deaths on India's west coast (With Images) - Apr 07, 2012
- Study On Deep Sea Turtles Show Interesting Results - Jan 20, 2011
- Climate change threatens largest sea turtles - Jul 02, 2012
- Record trash collected from New Jersey beaches - Apr 19, 2011
- Over 30 turtles found dead in Guatemala - Jul 22, 2010
- Scientists to track journeys of two marine turtles around world's oceans - Dec 24, 2009
- Climate change forces mirgration of Australian tropical fish - Aug 17, 2012
- Biodegradable plastic use on rise in Costa Rica - Apr 09, 2010
- Mexico says 42 mn turtles born in 2010-11 nesting season - Dec 22, 2011
- Plastic waste in ocean can harm environment, says study - Apr 26, 2012