30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani cityJuly 22nd, 2012 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 22 (IANS) Pakistan’s northwest tribal region Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has banned the entry of around 3,000 auto rickshaws made in 1985 or earlier into the provincial capital Peshawar to ease traffic and check pollution.
Regional Transport Authority secretary Naseem Ahmed Bacha told Dawn News that old auto-rickshaws would be painted maroon in order to easily identify them on city roads.
He asked the owners to dispose of the old auto rickshaws as early as possible.
However, the auto rickshaw drivers union has asked for permission to ply their vehicles on periphery roads. Union leaders said if the old vehicles were banned, thousands of drivers would be rendered jobless.
The Peshawar traffic police had earlier started working on a plan to paint auto-rickshaws in white and yellow for different shifts in a bid to control traffic on city roads.
Under the plan, yellow vehicles could not be brought on the roads during the time allocated for white ones. However, the plan could not be fully implemented.
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Partial auto strike in Delhi - Sep 07, 2010
- Fog disrupts traffic in Pakistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Over 10,000 auto-rickshaws to go off Delhi roads Monday - Nov 14, 2010
- Dial-an-auto soon in Maharashtra - Apr 03, 2012
- Auto strike hits Delhi hard - Mar 31, 2011
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Delhi not to phase out autos for now, says Dikshit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- Harrowing time for Delhi as shutdown hits traffic (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Autorickshaw users expect smooth ride after court order - Nov 12, 2011
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Four killed in Peshawar suicide blast - Jun 20, 2011
- Truck rams 10 vehicles, eight people killed - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: auto rickshaw, bacha, check pollution, city roads, dawn news, islamabad, naseem ahmed, northwest, pakistan, periphery, provincial capital, regional transport, rickshaw drivers, rickshaws, traffic police, transport authority, union leaders