30 peacocks found dead in RajasthanFebruary 26th, 2008 - 5:10 pm ICT by admin
Jaipur, Feb 26 (IANS) India’s national bird is facing threat in the desert state of Rajasthan - 30 peacocks were found dead in various parts of the state. While 21 peacocks were found dead in a village near Jodhpur, poachers killed nine peacocks in a village in Bundi district.
“21 peacocks were found dead in an agriculture field in Salodi village in Jodhpur district Monday evening,” a police official told IANS Tuesday.
The forest department has been informed and forest officials have started investigations, he added.
The forest department has sent the carcasses of the peacocks found in the field for post-mortem examination. “We would know the cause of the peacocks’ death after we receive the report,” B R Bhadu, a forest department official, said.
In Sisola village in Bundi district, poachers killed nine peacocks after offering them poisonous substance.
Local villagers tried to catch the poachers but they managed to escape with carcasses of five peacocks.
“We have registered cases against unnamed persons,” said Radheyshyam Pareek, a police official.
Peacocks face a major threat in Rajasthan as cases of poaching are being reported everyday from different parts of the state.
A recent survey by People for Animals (PFA) showed that as many as 10 peacocks were being killed everyday in Rajasthan.
The state government has so far failed to curb poaching of peacocks. Peacocks face maximum threat in three dozen villages in 14 districts of this desert state.
“Maximum deaths are taking place in Ajmer, Bhilwara, Chittorgarh and the Shekhawati belt of the state. According to available information, over 250 peacocks have been killed in these places in the last few months,” Babulal Jaju, PFA’s Rajasthan head, told IANS.
Jaju added that the attacks on peacocks generally go unreported.
The survey alleged that the tribals, who eat the white meat of birds, usually kill peacocks. The demand for export of feathers of male peacocks also leads to poaching of the national bird.
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- Nine peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Dec 10, 2011
- 13 peacocks killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 09, 2011
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- Peacock Poacher arrested with three carcasses - Nov 24, 2010
- Panther dies of thirst in Rajasthan heat - May 30, 2012
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- Bihar village dreams big for its peacocks! - May 15, 2012
- Peacock threatened by drought, starvation in Maharashtra reserve (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Man held with peacock carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2011
- Tigress killed in Chhattisgarh park - Nov 17, 2011
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- Two arrested for killing peacocks - Feb 11, 2011
- Poachers held with peacock carcasses - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: agriculture field, carcasses, chittorgarh, desert state, feathers, forest department, forest officials, investigations, jaipur, mortem examination, national bird, peacocks, poachers, poisonous substance, police official, post mortem, state government, tribals, unnamed persons, white meat