25,000 saplings planted in Pune on World Environment DayJune 6th, 2008 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Pune, June 5 (IANS) City residents Thursday carried out plantation of saplings and cleaning of the Mutha river bed to mark World Environment Day. The plantation drive by the Commowealth Youth Games (CYG) organising committee began with Pune mayor Rajlaxmi Bhosale and additional director general CYG Lt. Gen. (retired) Ashok Kapur planting a sapling.
This drive will see around 25,000 saplings being planted in the city.
Bhosale said: “I am pleased with CYG’s green initiative and also request citizens to do their bit towards environment protection and plant saplings around the year.”
Later, a cleaning drive of the Mutha river bed was held in which 1,200 volunteers participated.
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- One crore saplings to be planted across Bengal (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Delhi Metro to plant 10,000 saplings - Jul 22, 2011
- Delhi gets 7 lakh saplings in 3 weeks: Dikshit - Aug 14, 2011
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Losing green cover? Call helpline for a tree - Jul 31, 2010
- Yamuna clean-up operation begins in Taj city - Apr 20, 2012
- Punjab to plant over one crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 27, 2011
- Dikshit launches green Delhi drive - Jul 23, 2011
- Spiritual group plants 35 lakh trees - May 18, 2012
- Green drive in Delhi ahead of Commonwealth Games - Oct 31, 2009
- Chhattisgarh to plant six crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 12, 2010
- Punjab to plant trees along all highways - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi students clean up Yamuna ahead of CWG (With Image) - Aug 22, 2010
- Ladakh celebrates Earth Day by planting tree saplings - Apr 22, 2011