24 die due to US heat waveJuly 23rd, 2011 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 23 (IANS) The US National Weather Service has sounded a high-temperature alert in 30 states, after a heat wave resulted in the death of at least 24 people.
The weather service also said staying outdoors for any length of time was dangerous, especially for seniors, children, heart patients and people with breathing problems, EFE news agency reported.
Friday was an extremely hot day in several states on the east coast, according to officials.
In New Jersey, authorities said some 100 people, mostly teenagers, fainted from the heat in Camden, where over 12,000 people had gathered for a rock concert.
The first death related to the heat wave occurred in Kansas City.
Authorities reported 13 heat-related deaths in Missouri, including two women over 70.
Citing the Chicago Sun-times, Xinhua reported that autopsies Friday revealed that at least seven people from the Chicago area died from heat related causes in the last three scorching days.
Officials said an 18-year-old man collapsed after biking, running and being outdoors with family and friends. Six other elder Chicagoans also died from heat related causes.
- Six dead due to hot weather in US - Jul 08, 2012
- Heat wave bakes US, dozens dead - Jul 08, 2012
- 13 die as fresh tornadoes hit three US states - May 26, 2011
- America sizzles as heat wave hits East Coast - Jul 07, 2010
- 1.2 mn still 'powerless' in mighty America - Jul 04, 2012
- Sunstroke toll rises to 36 in Odisha - Jun 12, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Tornadoes kill 14 in US (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Scientists link extreme weather with climate change - Jul 03, 2011
- Millions of Americans battle blistering heat without power - Jul 02, 2012
- Boy dies of heat stroke in Odisha - May 23, 2012
- China urged to amend archaic heat law - Aug 06, 2010
- 25 killed as tornadoes hit US - May 23, 2011
- Australians experience hottest new year since 1900 - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: autopsies, breathing problems, chicago area, chicago sun times, chicagoans, city authorities, east coast, family and friends, heart patients, heat wave, high temperature, hot day, jersey authorities, kansas city, length of time, national weather service, news agency, seniors, two women, xinhua