220 turtles found on Mumbai-bound trainMay 21st, 2012 - 11:35 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 21 (IANS) A huge cache of rare turtles stuffed in two bags was discovered by Government Railway Police (GRP) on board the Mumbai-bound Pushpak Express.
The turtles, aged between one-seven years, are of a rare species. They were apparently being smuggled by a wildlife poaching gang, police said Monday.
The 220 turtles were packed in two large bags and were slipped below a berth in the general coach of the Pushpak Express. The GRP guards on a routine check of the coach late Sunday found some movement in the bags. There was no one to claim it.
When they opened the bags they found hundreds of turtles. The bags were confiscated and taken to the GRP police chowki at the Charbagh railway station.
With no one knowing how how to handle the turtles, the GRP communicated the matter to the forest department which arranged for them to be sent to the local forest officer. The turtles are likely to be released in the Ghaghra river, which is a natural habitat for turtles and tortoises in Uttar Pradesh.
As of now, they have been housed in the Sheeshambagh Faridinagar City Range Nursery of the forest department.
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011
- Two poachers held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2010
- Two women poachers nabbed with 130 tortoises - Feb 27, 2010
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- Thailand seizes 451 turtles smuggled into plane luggage - Jun 02, 2011
- Poacher held with over 300 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 12, 2010
- Huge cache of explosives recovered in Assam - Nov 28, 2010
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Armed men loot train in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 18, 2010
- Two poachers nabbed with 95 tortoises - May 04, 2011
- West Bengal railway staff rescue over 1000 turtles from smugglers - May 16, 2009
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Boy's headless body found in rail compartment - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: berth, chowki, coach, forest department, forest officer, grp, natural habitat, railway police, railway station, rare species, routine check, seven years, tortoises, train, turtles, turtles and tortoises