22 killed in Darjeeling landslides after cycloneMay 27th, 2009 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Siliguri, May 26 (IANS) At least 22 people were killed and several injured in landslides - triggered by Cyclone Aila - in West Bengal’s hill district of Darjeeling Tuesday, police said.
“At least 22 people died and 10 were injured in landslides across Darjeeling district. We’ve got reports that six people also went missing in the district,” Darjeeling Additional Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Chaturvedi said.
“Seven people were killed in Kerseong sub-division, 11 in Darjeeling and four in Jorbanglow locality.
“The army has been called in to carry out the rescue operations in different parts of the hills. Near 500 houses were damaged due to torrential rain that started yesterday (Monday) morning and still continuing in northern parts of the state,” he said.
According to sources, nearly 100 landslides took place across Darjeeling and its adjoining areas causing immense trouble to thousands of locals living in the hilly region.
Cyclone Aila created havoc across West Bengal Monday, claiming a total of 82 lives by Tuesday evening.
- Darjeeling landslide toll reaches 27 - May 28, 2009
- Darjeeling landslide toll mounts to 24 - May 27, 2009
- Quake kills four, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills 10, injures over 200 in Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- 10 killed, 23 injured in Darjeeling landslides - May 26, 2009
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills six, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Five killed in Bengal road accident - Apr 16, 2012
- 35 killed, hundreds injured in Sunday's quake in north, east India - Sep 19, 2011
- Massive landslide kills at least five people in Siliguri - Aug 16, 2009
- Two killed in landslide - Mar 27, 2011
- Elephants wreak havoc in Siliguri's tea garden - Dec 04, 2010
- Seven die in West Bengal landslides (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Landslide disrupts supply lines between Siliguri, Darjeeling - Jun 16, 2010
- GJM demands relief for cyclone-hit Darjeeling - Jun 03, 2009
Tags: aila, akhilesh, army, chaturvedi, cyclone, havoc across, hilly region, landslides, locality, locals, monday morning, rain, rescue operations, s hill, siliguri, superintendent, tuesday evening, west bengal