20 cows die after chewing poisonous weed

June 6th, 2008 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS  


Lucknow, June 5 (IANS) About 20 cows died and over 50 took ill after they consumed some poisonous weed in a village in Jaunpur district in Uttar Pradesh Thursday, the police said. Veterinary doctors who were rushed from adjoining districts suspect the cows chewed dry `Bajri’ grass. Samples of the grass were sent to a medical laboratory for tests.

The incident took place in Barecha village where a shepherd took about 150 cows for grazing in the jungles on the outskirts.

“While 20 cows died within half hour of grazing, about 50 fell ill and are under treatment. A post-mortem has been conducted,” police officer N.N. Kumar told IANS.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Environment |

Subscribe