15 km of Goa beaches threatened by erosion: surveyMarch 24th, 2010 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 24 (IANS) About 15 kilometres of Goa’s famous beaches have been affected by massive sea erosion that is plaguing the state’s entire coastline, according to a survey by the Goa government.
The economic survey, a document compiled by the government on the state of the economy ahead of the budget, has also said that the coastline in seaward regions like Pernem, Bardez, Canacona and Salcete were in danger of being eroded quickly.
“It has been observed that about 15 km of the coastline is severely affected by sea erosion,” states the survey, which was tabled during the budget session of the Goa legislative assembly.
“Though temporary measures such as stepped sea walls, earthern embankements, concrete blocks, rubble walls protected by geo-grid nets, have been implemented to tackle erosion, more concrete steps need to be taken,” the survey says.
It also states that the world famous Candolim beach, which is home to two five star resorts, has already lost about 1.5 km of the beach stretch already, thanks to a grounded ship in the sea.
“Anti erosion works are being implemented at the Candolim beach for a stretch of 1,500 meters where a considerable portion of the beach has been eroded due to the grounded ship River Princess,” the survey states, adding that the sand bar which had been created near the ship, needed to be removed.
The survey further states that on the recommendation of the coastal planning development advisory committee (CPDAC), several anti sea erosion measures had also been formulated and executed at a cost of Rs.11 crore.
- Severe sea erosion killing Goa beaches - Mar 16, 2011
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Lara-Mahesh wedding: Time to highlight Goa's disappeared beach - Feb 18, 2011
- Goa government cozying up to 5-star hotel lobby: Shack operators - Sep 17, 2012
- Facelift of two popular Goa beaches to cost Rs.10 crore - Mar 22, 2012
- Global warming eroding Goa beaches: Governor - Nov 23, 2009
- Seven Goa beaches under erosion threat: Minister - Jul 20, 2009
- Black tar balls appear on Goa beaches - Aug 31, 2010
- 3 Russians saved from drowning off Goa beach - Sep 10, 2012
- Beach erosion matter of 'serious concern', says Goa governor - Sep 07, 2009
- Court asks Goa to remove beached vessel by next monsoon - Sep 08, 2010
- Sand sculpture fest in Goa to focus on global warming - Dec 14, 2009
- Goa asks Coast Guard to track down oil dumping ship - Apr 21, 2011
- Beached ship could erode popular beach stretch in Goa - Jan 22, 2009
Tags: budget session, canacona, candolim beach, coastline, concrete blocks, concrete steps, development advisory committee, economic survey, five star resorts, goa beaches, goa government, kilometres, legislative assembly, measures, planning development, princess, rubble, sand bar, sea erosion, sea walls