11 killed in Orissa flash floodsJuly 14th, 2009 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 14 (IANS) Flash floods triggered by heavy monsoon rains have killed at least 11 people in Orissa over past two days, officials said Tuesday although unofficial sources said the toll could be higher.
“As per the information reaching here, 11 people have died in rain-related mishaps including seven deaths in the district of Nayagarh,” Balaram Singh, officer on special duty in the state control room, told IANS.
Singh said three rain-related deaths were reported from Keonjhar district and one from Koraput district.
“Most of them died of drowning,” he said.
In Nayagarh district, seven people were travelling in a private bus which fell into a stream after being swept away by flood waters Monday evening, an official said.
The bus, carrying some 40 people, was swept away while travelling over a culvert, he said. While villagers and police have rescued 22 people, and seven bodies were recovered, the rest were still missing.
Many parts of the state were witnessing heavy to moderate rains over past seven days.
The weather office here said the amount of rainfall the state received by Monday was only eight percent less than what is expected for the whole of a normal monsoon.
“At present water levels in most rivers are below danger levels but they may go up if we receive more rain in next two-three days,” an official of the state flood control room said.
- 11 killed in Orissa flash floods, compensation announced (Lead) - Jul 15, 2009
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Orissa flash floods toll 15, thousands hit (Lead) - Jul 15, 2009
- Death toll in Orissa floods rises to 15 - Jul 15, 2009
- Sonia visits Jaipur areas devastated by heavy rains - Aug 30, 2012
- Heavy monsoon rain kills at least 18 in southeast Pakistan - Aug 13, 2011
- 16 killed in Orissa floods - Sep 11, 2011
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: amount of rainfall, balaram, culvert, danger levels, deaths, flash floods, flood control, flood waters, heavy monsoon rains, july 14, orissa, private bus, rain, rivers, seven days, unofficial sources, water levels, weather office