10 killed, 23 injured in Darjeeling landslidesMay 26th, 2009 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, May 26 (IANS) At least 10 people were killed and 23 injured following landslides Tuesday in West Bengal’s hill district Darjeeling, police said.
“At least 10 people died and 23 were injured in landslides across Darjeeling district. We’ve also got reports that six people are missing,” Darjeeling additional superintendent of police Akhilesh Yadav said.
He said the army has been called in to carry out rescue operations in different parts of the hills.
“Nearly 500 houses were damaged due to torrential rains that started yesterday (Monday) morning and are still continuing in northern parts of the state,” Yadav added.
According to sources, nearly 100 landslides took place across Darjeeling and its adjoining areas causing immense trouble to thousands of residents of the hilly region.
- 22 killed in Darjeeling landslides after cyclone - May 27, 2009
- Quake kills four, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills 10, injures over 200 in Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills six, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- 35 killed, hundreds injured in Sunday's quake in north, east India - Sep 19, 2011
- Five killed in Bengal road accident - Apr 16, 2012
- Seven die in West Bengal landslides (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Darjeeling landslide toll mounts to 24 - May 27, 2009
- Darjeeling landslide toll reaches 27 - May 28, 2009
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Day 4 of Darjeeling shutdown: Interlocutor meets officials - Feb 12, 2011
- Landslides kill four, snap links to Sikkim - Jun 17, 2011
- 42 die in Indian quake, rains hamper relief work - Sep 19, 2011
- 39 people have died in Himachal rains - Sep 10, 2011
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011