Zubin Mehta fans, get set for some Mumbai magicJuly 18th, 2008 - 8:57 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 18 (IANS) Zubin Mehta, the internationally acclaimed Los Angeles-based music conductor of Indian origin, will enthral his fans at a series of charity concerts here in October. The Oct 7-12 concerts, to be held under the auspices of the Mehli Mehta Music Foundation (MMMF), are to raise money for a music school that the 72-year-old maestro is planning to start in Mumbai.
While four concerts will be held at the Jamshed Bhabha Theatre, the mega-charity event will be held at the Brabourne Stadium Oct 11, an MMMF spokesperson told IANS.
A Parsi, Mehta was born in Mumbai but moved to Vienna at the age of 18 to learn Western classical music.
The MMMF was founded in 1995 to promote Western classical music and foster the memory of the late Mehli Mehta, Zubin Mehta’s father. In the 1930s and 1940s, Mehli Mehta was the motivating factor behind the Bombay String Quartet, Bombay Symphony Orchestra and the Western classical music scenario in the city.
Zubin Mehta has been associated with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Montreal Symphony and New York Philharmonic, Munich Philharmonic Orchestra and is a lifelong music director with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.
He has collaborated with music legends around the world, including Indian sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar and his audiences have included the royalty, rulers and other international celebrities.
India conferred one of its highest civilian honours, the Padma Vibhushan, on him in 2001 and later he received the Kennedy Centre Honours in 2006.
- Zubin Mehta keen to perform in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 23, 2012
- Music conductor Zubin Mehta honored with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 02, 2011
- German honour for Zubin Mehta - Jul 14, 2012
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- Pt. Ravi Shankar Presents His First Western Symphony In London - Jul 03, 2010
- Symphony Orchestra Of India Debuts In The International Market - Jun 14, 2010
- Tagore songs at Munich music fest - Apr 10, 2012
- German orchestra to perform on Rahman's tunes - Jan 20, 2012
- We are not entertainers: Ustad Amjad Ali Khan (Interview) - Aug 19, 2010
- 60 Minutes: Gustavo Dudamel Has A Musical Mission - May 17, 2010
- Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra named ''World''s Best'' - Nov 21, 2008
- Child prodigy performs with Mexican philharmonic - Mar 06, 2012
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra helps science by playing to plants - Mar 24, 2011
- Italian music conductor Riccardo Muti wins $1m Birgit Nilsson Prize - Mar 17, 2011
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra gives a performance for plants - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: charity concerts, indian sitar, international celebrities, israel philharmonic orchestra, kennedy centre honours, los angeles philharmonic, mehli mehta, mehta zubin, montreal symphony, munich philharmonic orchestra, music conductor, music legends, new york philharmonic, padma vibhushan, pandit ravi shankar, ravi shankar, sitar maestro, string quartet, western classical music, zubin mehta