‘Zindagi Na..’ breaks even, makes Rs.59 croreJuly 18th, 2011 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) Director Zoya Akhtar’s “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” has broken even, making Rs.28.60 crore in the opening weekend and Rs.31 crore through satellite and music rights for a total of over Rs.59 crore. The budget of the film, including prints and publicity was Rs.55 crore, trade sources said.
At the box office, the film, which was publicised extensively across the country, earned Rs.8.15 crore Friday, Rs.9.25 crore Saturday and Rs.11.20 crore Sunday, with occupancy being 100 percent.
The film recovered Rs.24 crore through satellite rights and Rs.7 crore from its music rights.
Despite the bomb blasts in Mumbai two days before its Friday release, people queued up to watch the movie. The film opened with 90 to 100 percent occupancy.
“The response to the film is really good. We are running the film in almost all our properties with 100 percent business. Although Friday was low, but the film picked up with word-of-mouth publicity,” Amit Shah, chief manager (programming) of DLF DT cinemas told IANS.
The film is about four best friends, who set out on a road trip that changes their lives. It celebrates the sheer beauty and physicality of location and their deep connection to the characters’ state of mind. The star cast of the film includes Abhay Deol, Hrithik Roshan, Farhan Akhtar, Katrina Kaif and Kalki Koechlin.
“The movie is being liked by everyone. It’s a family entertainer. It a movie with fresh feel and does not belong to any particular genre. You would find a little bit of everything in the movie. The film is likely to sustain for longer time,” said Munish Sharma, general manager (marketing) Satyam Cineplexes.
Hrithik-Katrina teamed up as a couple for the first time in the film and their on screen chemistry has been the talk of the town and Farhan’s acting has been appreciated too.
“Of all the three actors, Farhan stands out. It’s a refreshing, plain and simple movie. The occupancy has been above 95 percent,” said Yogesh Raizada, corporate head (Cinemas) of Wave Cinemas.
Looking at the kind of response that the film got over the weekend, Farhan took to the internet to reveal his excitement and also praised his sister Zoya for making an entertaining film.
“Wow! Cannot get over how much positive support and love this film is being given.. Thank you all. Well done Zoya! You truly deserve it,” Farhan wrote on microblogging site Twitter.”
Hrithik also tweeted: “Wow!! Moshi moshi!! Going MANTAL with the response!!!!”
- 'Zindagi Na...' team to help Mumbai blast victims - Jul 20, 2011
- 'Don 2' rings in over Rs.48 crore on opening weekend - Dec 26, 2011
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- Farhan Akhtar thanks dad for dialogues - Jul 17, 2011
- Record opening day collection for 'Bodyguard' - Sep 01, 2011
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi...' earns Rs.108 crore in 10 days - Jul 27, 2011
- No similarity between 'Zindagi Na...' and 'Dil Chahta Hai': Farhan - May 15, 2011
- Friends eased pain when parents divorced: Farhan Akhtar (Interview) - Jul 22, 2011
- 'Ek Tha Tiger' expected to break more records - Aug 17, 2012
- 'Mere Brother Ki...' earns Rs.25.6 crore over weekend - Sep 13, 2011
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
- Hrithik, 'Harry Potter' cast spell in initial weekend - Nov 23, 2010
- Mumbai to have Rs.30 bn plush film studio (Movie Snippets) - Feb 09, 2011
- Record opening for 'Agneepath', earns Rs.25 crore - Jan 27, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara' a delightful film: Big B - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: abhay deol, bomb blasts, chief manager, dobara, dt, family entertainer, farhan akhtar, hrithik roshan, kalki, katrina kaif, manager marketing, music rights, New Delhi, physicality, road trip, satellite rights, screen chemistry, sheer beauty, trade sources, word of mouth