Zack Snyder to direct new Superman movieOctober 5th, 2010 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 05 (ANI): Zack Snyder is set to direct the new Superman movie.
The Warner Bros film, due for release next year, will be written by Christopher Nolan, the director of the Dark Knight movie.
Reports have claimed Snyder, the director of Watchmen and 300, was one of several filmmakers in negotiations for the job including Darren Aronofsky, Ben Affleck, Matt Reeves and Tony Scott.
Such was demand for the role that Robert Zemeckis, who has retired to the world of performance-capture animation, was said to have also considered returning to live-action filmmaking in order to get the coveted job.
The script is said to similar to “Superman Returns” with a connection to Richard Donner’s Superman films more than 30 years ago.
The new film will have a “villain connection” - General Zod, who was played by Terence Stamp in “Superman” (1978) and “Superman II” (1980).
The Superman movie is said to be one of the studio’s top priorities.
Snyder said he was “psyched” but surprised to have won the role.
“I had always been a huge fan of the character, but this is out of the blue,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“In the initial meetings, he (Nolan) has been super-amazingly smart and also amazingly kind, filmmaker-to-filmmaker.
“I definitely expressed my love for the character and interest in seeing him treated right. The character deserves to be loved. It’s his time,” he added. (ANI)
- General Zod To Play Villain In Upcoming Superman Flick - Oct 06, 2010
- Michael Shannon cast as 'Superman' villain Gen Zod - Apr 11, 2011
- Snyder to direct new 'Superman' movie - Oct 05, 2010
- Crowe to play Superman's dad? - Jun 16, 2011
- Zack Snyder Directing New Superman Flick - Oct 05, 2010
- British Actor Henry Cavill Lands Role In "Superman: Man of Steel" - Feb 01, 2011
- Portman slams superhero rumours - Jan 03, 2011
- Will Kristen Stewart play Lois Lane in new 'Superman'? - Feb 03, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan To Play Lois Lane In "Superman: Man Of Steel"? - Feb 10, 2011
- Nolan taking inspiration from 'Superman' for remake - Jun 29, 2010
- Punch line missing in 'Sucker Punch' (IANS Movie Review) - Mar 25, 2011
- Darren Aronofsky might direct latest 'Superman' film - Sep 28, 2010
- Natalie Portman blasts 'Superman' and 'Batman' rumours - Jan 03, 2011
- Crowe to play Superman's dad in 'Man of Steel'? - Jun 17, 2011
- 'Most unlucky man in Hollywood' Henry Cavill is the new Superman - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: ben affleck, christopher nolan, dark knight, darren aronofsky, general zod, initial meetings, matt reeves, new film, new superman movie, out of the blue, richard donner, robert zemeckis, superman films, superman ii, superman returns, terence stamp, top priorities, villain, watchmen, zack snyder