Yuvraj in no hurry to marryOctober 5th, 2011 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 5 (IANS) Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh is one of the most eligible bachelors in the country and has been linked with several women in the past. But the 29-year-old says he wants to wait for someone who is open-minded and understanding and does not marry him for his popularity.
Interestingly, he said this in a tete-a-tete with his once-rumoured girlfriend, actress Preity Zinta, on her celebrity chat show Up Close and Personal With PZ.
“I want someone who has an open mind to understand the background I come from,” he said. “I don’t want anyone to marry me for the fact that I play for India or due to my popularity.”
He drew attention to the fact that he ran a packed schedule. “She needs to be understanding given the fact that I would be travelling most of the time due to my game. So someone who comes from a similar background would be ideal,” said Yuvraj.
Yuvraj is in no hurry. “The fact that I have seen my parents go through a divorce made me learn that I shouldn’t marry too early in life and only settle down with someone when I feel it’s the right time,” he said.
Even though his marriage plans are not in place, Yuvraj is sure that if he ever has a son, he won’t let him play cricket.
“Never,” he said. “I would, in fact, request him to stay away from the game or else I will break his legs, because in a country like India there is too much pressure on cricketers and expectations are unrealistic.”
He should know. He has been playing for the Indian cricket team since 2000.
Yuvraj turned into a naughty mood when Preity asked him how he felt about being linked up with her.
“Honestly it felt great to be rumored to have an affair with you. But, unfortunately, it wasn’t true. And you were dating someone else at that time and I was made the scapegoat in the whole thing,” he told Preity in the episode to be aired Saturday.
- Preity's chat show to return for second season - Nov 14, 2011
- Thanks to Hollywood, it's yesterday once more for Anil - Nov 10, 2011
- Preity is open to experimentation: Designer - Sep 26, 2011
- I'm quite secure in my relationship: Kareena - Jan 28, 2012
- Don't create the hype around Yuvraj: Dhoni - Sep 07, 2012
- Ponting calls for separate window for IPL - Apr 03, 2012
- I play for India and not for captains, says Yuvraj - Jun 22, 2011
- People couldn't imagine me in a commercial role: Chitrangada - Nov 18, 2011
- Yuvraj uncertain about future but determined to play again (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Wise Ponting realised that clinging onto Oz captaincy could have finished him - Mar 30, 2011
- It was payback time for me to Sourav: Yuvraj - Jun 22, 2011
- Wedding? I'm only in my 20s: Priyanka Chopra (Interview) - Nov 16, 2010
- Don't know what the future holds: Yuvraj - Apr 11, 2012
- Dhoni happy with Yuvraj's return to international cricket - Sep 12, 2012
- SRK made Gaga wait? (Movie Snippets) - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: actress, celebrity chat, cricketers, divorce, eligible bachelors, girlfriend, hurry, indian cricket team, indian cricketer, legs, marriage plans, New Delhi, oct 5, popularity, preity zinta, pz, right time, scapegoat, tete a tete, yuvraj singh