Yesteryears’ actress Manorama deadFebruary 15th, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, Feb 15 (IANS) Yesteryears’ actress Manorama, known for her comic and negative roles, died here Friday. She was last seen in Deepa Mehta’s Oscar nominated “Water”. The portly woman with exaggerated eyelashes and expressions was popularly known for roles like the wicked aunt in “Seeta Aur Geeta”, “Ek Phool Do Maali” and “Do Kaliyan”.
However, she is also said to have worked as a heroine in quite a few movies when she started her acting career in Lahore (now in Pakistan) over six decades ago, according to one of her former colleagues.
She married Raja Naqsar, also an actor. The couple migrated to Mumbai after partition in 1947 where Raja became a producer.
She could often drive audiences into splits by her mere presence. She later appeared in a couple of TV serials.
Almost forgotten by the industry, Manorama surprised many when she appeared in “Water” as the head of a widow’s ashram in Varanasi. The film, set in the early 20th Century, revolved around the plight of widows in India forced into isolation and often prostitution.
- Manorama was bitter about Bollywood shunning her: Deepa Mehta - Feb 20, 2008
- Many big heroes refused to work with me: Mumtaz (Interview Part 2) - Jul 31, 2012
- Dual roles back in B-town: One ticket, double mazaa - Jun 20, 2012
- Dharamji's honour was long due: Hema Malini - Jan 25, 2012
- Katrina Kaif’s Double Role Dream Comes True Through Dibakar Banerjee’s Next Film - Jan 20, 2011
- Padma Bhushan great, but late for dad: Ahana Deol - Jan 25, 2012
- I worked hard to maintain 'Dreamgirl' tag: Hema Malini - Nov 22, 2011
- 'Love, Lies And Seeta' sloopy and lacks energy (IANS Movie Review) - May 18, 2012
- Madhoo to turn director by next year - Jul 06, 2012
- Rihanna's greatest prank: Your sister is pregnant! - Apr 03, 2012
- Brothers found strangled, tenant absconding - Aug 30, 2011
- Class 12 girl kills friend, burns body to fake own death - Jan 07, 2011
- Zohra Segal, Ramesh Sippy to get lifetime honours - May 29, 2012
- From farm debts to KBC prize, a Vidarbha widow's story - Sep 12, 2011
- Man strangles landlord's two kids - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: 20th century, acting career, actress, audiences, aur, deepa mehta, expressions, eyelashes, few movies, heroine, isolation, lahore, mumbai, partition, phool, plight, prostitution, splits, tv serials, widows