‘…Yellow Boots’ my first film releasing worldwide: Anurag KashyapAugust 9th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 9 (IANS) Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap says that none of his films have ever reached international audiences beyond festivals as Indian distributors are sceptical of giving them a global release. His forthcoming “That Girl in Yellow Boots” is his first world wide release.
“That Girl in Yellow Boots”, written and acted by Kashyap’s wife actress Kalki Koechlin, is releasing Sep 2 even in non-NRI theaters in America.
“None of my films had been released internationally so far. Be it ‘Black Friday’, ‘Dev D’ all the films went to festivals, garnered acclaim and I ended up selling it to the satellite,” Kashyap told IANS in an interview.
“‘That Girl in Yellow Boots’ is releasing in all Scandinavian countries, Australia, New Zealand, Korea and in America there would be 30 art house releases. It’s apparently a small release but a big one for my film,” Kashyap said.
Kashyap criticised Indian distributors, terming them inefficient and dishonest as they “repeatedly failed or deliberately didn’t make international releases” of any of his films even after owning overseas rights, “just assuming there is no market for such non-conventional films”.
“What has been my frustration ever since I started making film is that my films go to festivals across the world then when I approach distributors they ask for world rights as well. They take the world rights but don’t release them outside saying there is no market for the film abroad. Internationally none of the distributors know how to distribute it or they hide the film from the non-NRI market.
“If a film has big stars like the Khans then a roadside tea stall owner would be able to distribute it across the globe,” he said.
He said: “When there is a film which is highly acclaimed in the festival circuit why would that not be loved by other people. For example ‘Udaan’ garnered audience choice award of another country, why can’t they distribute the film in theatres for the same audience of that country.”
He is thankful to producer-distributor Viacom 18 for supporting his endeavour to explore the international market for his film.
“I thought that I would distribute the film worldwide personally. It took one year to find international distributors. Then we got Viacom 18, which is the first producer-distributor that said we would work in collaboration because it’s the first time for both of us to explore the global market. Viacom 18 is collaborating with so many distributors world wide,” said Kashyap.
“That Girl in Yellow Boots”, is a look at the social criticism Kalki Koechlin suffered for being an actor with French connections coupled with other real time incidences that appeared in the newspapers, revealed Kashyap.
“When my relationship started with Kalki there used to be all kinds of stories. It was out of reluctance of accepting a white person. She had become a topic of coffee table conversation. A white girl looks good that’s why she has got a chance in Hindi film, that’s what was concluded.
“What people forget that, is that girl left England to live here as she was born in India and secondly she grew up on the diet of sambar and rice, and she still continues it as she can’t take spicy food and her first language is Tamil. But all these things got discounted. We thought let’s make a film on it mixing with stories of its kind that appeared in newspapers,” said the 38-year-old filmmaker.
“The mixture of all those stories evolved into the story of ‘Yellow Boots’. It’s a thriller based on a girl’s search for her father but set in an underworld that’s mushrooming around us that we refuse to see or know,” he added.
The film also features Naseeruddin Shah in a pivotal role.
(Dibyojyoti Baksi can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 'That Girl In Yellow Boots' first look revealed (With Image) - Aug 11, 2011
- 'That Girl In Yellow Boots' to premier in New York - Aug 23, 2011
- Kashyap's '...Yellow Boots' to release in Britain - Aug 27, 2011
- Don't look like village girl, so not in '...Wasseypur': Kalki - Jun 04, 2012
- 'That Girl...' goes to Toronto, Venice film festivals - Jul 30, 2010
- I'll complete Mani Kaul's movies: Anurag Kashyap - Jul 17, 2011
- Anurag Kashyap's 'That Girl...' to open South Asian film fest - Oct 10, 2010
- I love Beti B in Aishwarya's arms the most: Abhishek (Movie Snippets) - Nov 25, 2011
- Anurag's New Film Faces Online Leakage - Aug 09, 2010
- Kashyap's 'That Girl in Yellow Boots' big hit in Toronto (With Images) - Sep 19, 2010
- I love going back to theatre: Kalki - Mar 14, 2012
- That Girl In Yellow Boots To Be Screened At Venice Film Festival - Aug 03, 2010
- I'm getting married this year: Kalki Koechlin - Apr 25, 2011
- That Girl In Yellow Boots Receives Incredible Response at Toronto Fest - Sep 20, 2010
- Kalki-Kashyap wedding set for April 30 (Lead) - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: actress, anurag kashyap, black friday, choice award, conventional films, festivals, frustration, global release, globe, indian distributors, international audiences, khans, koechlin, mumbai, scandinavian countries, stall owner, tea stall, theaters, udaan, yellow boots