Yash Raj Films ends distribution deal with Karan JoharMarch 10th, 2009 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Entertainment conglomerate Yash Raj Films (YRF) has withdrawn its over 10-year-old distribution deal with filmmaker Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions, saying it is a “purely business decision”.
“As always, Dharma Productions had offered some films to us. However, at this point in time we have taken a conscious decision not to acquire any films but to only produce and distribute our own,” Rafiq Gangjee, vice president (Marketing and Communication) at YRF, told IANS over telephone Tuesday.
“They respected and accepted this. It is purely a business decision,” Gangjee said.
YRF’s association with Johar dates back to the director’s first movie “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” in 1998. It has since then been distributing all of Johar’s productions, including “Kabhi Khushi Khabie Gham”, “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna” and “Dostana”.
The distribution rights of the his forthcoming films “Wake Up Sid” and an untitled Rensil D’Silva project starring Kareena Kapoor, Vivek Oberoi and Saif Ali Khan, were also offered to the company. But the deal did not materialise and was instead sealed with Ronnie Screwvala’s UTV Motion Pictures in Mumbai Monday.
Regarding his association with UTV, Johar said in a statement: “I have known and been in touch with Ronnie for a long time and I am glad I am finally getting a chance. His passion and sensibility towards understanding cinema is exceptional and I am looking forward to working with his company.”
- Kajol has always been lucky for me: Karan Johar - Sep 01, 2012
- Karan Johar chooses his directors on instinct - Jan 28, 2012
- My birthday party my biggest hit, says Karan Johar - Jun 14, 2012
- Kareena, Imran pairing USP of 'Ek Main...': Karan - Dec 15, 2011
- Karan Johar to launch a new face - May 12, 2010
- Karan Johar mulls third season of 'Koffee With Karan' - Apr 19, 2010
- All eyeballs on India for CWG: Karan Johar (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Rani eager to work with Aamir in Karan Johar film - Jul 15, 2010
- Happy 40th birthday KJo, with love, luck: B-Town - May 25, 2012
- Delhi is growing from strength to strength: Karan Johar - Sep 08, 2010
- Mohit not worried about matching music of 'Aashiqui' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 18, 2012
- Karan Johar to switch to comedy? - Apr 27, 2010
- 'SOTY' huge responsibility for Karan Johar - Aug 12, 2012
- I don't make movies for money, says SRK (Film Snippets) - Jun 01, 2010
- Big B introduces 'RA.One' game in movie - Oct 08, 2011
Tags: business decision, conscious decision, dharma productions, distribution deal, distribution rights, entertainment conglomerate, forthcoming films, kabhi alvida naa kehna, karan johar, kareena kapoor, khushi, New Delhi, point in time, rafiq, saif ali khan, utv motion pictures, vice president marketing, vivek oberoi, yash raj films, yrf