‘X-Men Origins…’ well-packaged, entertaining action drama (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ***1/2June 19th, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
By Joginder Tuteja
Film: “X-Men Origins: Wolverine”; Cast: Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Lynn Collins, Taylor Kitsch, Daniel Henney, Dominic Monaghan; Director: Gavin Hood; Rating: ***1/2
It’s movies like “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” that make you believe that Hollywood will not move away from it’s fascination with superheroes or fantasy flicks.
That’s because with subjects like these in hand, there is ample scope for a film maker to go the whole hog and come up with enough dope that could lead to unabashed entertainment which is tailor made for the big screen. In this context, “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” truly and completely fits the requirements to the T.
This action drama is comic book at best, but who minds that this summer season, when there is absolutely nothing else in the offering. Even otherwise, “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” packs in so much in its 100-odd minutes that you don’t have to look elsewhere for any other entertainment outlet.
For those who have been following the journey of the “X-Men” series, there has already been enough curiosity built around this Hugh Jackman starrer. Even for another section of audiences who would possibly be exploring X-Men for the first time, the movie keeps its narrative simplistic enough, hence ensuring that this segment doesn’t feel left out.
So what one gets to see is a seriously sexy-n-rustic Jackman promising himself to move out of his surreal world where murder was the key word. He wants to leave his mutant origins behind and become a part of the real world.
But will his demons from the past allow him to do so?
Now, how many times have we seen such a situation building up for the lead protagonist of a film? Not just Hollywood, even Bollywood has traditionally explored such subjects at regular intervals.
However, that’s the beauty of this Gavin Hood directed film that in spite of such cliched developments, there are ample thrilling moments that keep one glued to the seat.
So, the fight begins between a good Jackman and “still bad” brother (Liev Schreiber) who continues to feel proud of his killing powers. Danny Huston, who is a cross between the saviour of his country, a scientist and someone who wants to bring together all mutant powers for his own benefits, is pitted against Jackman as well.
And then there is this exotic female Lynn Collins who plays the quintessential “I will be there for you forever” part pretty well.
In between the battle of these characters, there are the usual chases, blasts, trademark claws and the super villains making an appearance at regular intervals, hence ensuring that the pace of the movie never drops.
Enjoy “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” with a bagfull of popcorn. It’s the kind of film that is made especially for the big screen.
- Hugh Jackman Backs Out From Avon Man For X-Men Sequel - Aug 20, 2010
- Jackman voted sexiest sci-fi star - Sep 02, 2011
- Hugh Jackman pulls out of girlie role to bulk up for Wolverine - Aug 18, 2010
- Schreiber heading back to TV - Dec 01, 2011
- 'The Wolverine' to go on floors in October: Jackman - Jul 01, 2011
- 'Wolverine' bags Rs.75 mn in opening weekend in India - Jun 22, 2009
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
- Hugh Jackman ordered to have 6,000 calorie diet for new movie - Feb 04, 2011
- Liev Schreiber Wants A Piece Of Sequel To "Wolverine" - Mar 13, 2010
- Hugh Jackman Is Undergoing A Diet Worth 6000 Calories For The Upcoming Chapter Of His Movie, 'Wolverine' - Feb 04, 2011
- Hugh Jackman Goes On 6,000 Calorie Diet Each Day For Wolverine Role - Feb 04, 2011
- Top 10 Hollywood movies India fell for (Flashback 2009) - Dec 19, 2009
- Jackman all praises for new 'Wolverine' film - Oct 08, 2011
- WOLVERINE GROSSES RS 10 CRORE IN ITS FIRST WEEK - Jun 25, 2009
- Huge Jackman's X-Men spin-off titled 'The Wolverine' - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: action drama, ample scope, daniel henney, danny huston, dominic monaghan, entertainment outlet, film maker, film x, gavin hood, hugh jackman, joginder, liev schreiber, lynn collins, men series, odd minutes, surreal world, taylor kitsch, whole hog, wolverine, x men