X Factor winner Alexandra Burkes mother suspected of benefits fraudJanuary 26th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 26 (ANI): Brit soul/pop singer and X Factor winner Alexandra Burkes mother is under investigation for making false benefits claims.
Melissa Bell, 44, came under the notice of bosses at Islington council in North London after it was revealed that she and Burke were discussing singing publicly together.
Theyre idiots Ill sue them! the Mirror quoted her as saying.
I simply couldnt believe it. But I rang the council and they have admitted I am under suspicion of benefit fraud. Im absolutely outraged, she said.
According to the probe being carried out, the mum-of-four, who is a former soul singer, has been claiming benefits worth 17,344 pounds a year, and at the same time getting paid for gigs.
Investigators have contacted ever venue that Bell has been performing at within the last six months, but she has insisted that whatever she was paid has been going to charity.
The council can come and search me right now. Officials have looked online at all the places I have appeared at and have contacted them all, she said.
But any money Ive received Ive given to the Kidney Patient Association.
I am very mindful of the rules. On Christmas Day I stepped in for Alex at a restaurant because but I didnt get paid I got a Christmas dinner.
I also sang at my hospital for the patients, but I didnt get paid for that, either. Im really upset about all this and very alarmed, she added.
Bell, who has severe diabetes, gets a monthly 258 pounds disability living allowance and 124 pounds per week in income support. Her weekly 150 pounds rent and council tax fees are covered by housing benefit. (ANI)
- Alexandra Burke to duet with mum - Mar 15, 2012
- Gordon Browns congratulatory letter to X Factor winner - Dec 19, 2008
- No Botox for Alexandra Burke - Dec 06, 2010
- Alexandra Burke says she's love to be a 'kick-a**' star like Jolie - Sep 14, 2010
- Burke struggles with long distance love - Mar 07, 2012
- I would never have plastic surgery, says Alexandra Burke - Dec 06, 2010
- Alexandra Burke's brother involved in drugs scandal - Mar 16, 2011
- Alexandra Burkes record-breaking song inspired by sex - Dec 17, 2008
- New motor inspired reggae track, says Alexandra Burke - Aug 20, 2010
- Diabetes fear forces Alexandra Burke to watch her diet - Feb 04, 2010
- Burke not dating Cipriani - Sep 06, 2010
- Alexandra Burke don't trust men - Aug 23, 2010
- Burke talks about 'horrendous' domestic abuse - Nov 27, 2011
- Kerry Katona to make pop music comeback - Mar 30, 2011
- Alexandra Burke hates being alone - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: alexandra, benefit fraud, burkes, charity, christmas day, christmas dinner, claiming benefits, disability living allowance, housing benefit, investigators, kidney patient, london jan, melissa bell, north london, pop singer, six months, soul pop, soul singer, suspicion, x factor