Writers deserve more credit for epic characters, scenes: NaseerJuly 4th, 2012 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 4 (IANS) Veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah believes that most epic Bollywood characters became successful not only because of an actor’s efforts, but also because they were well-written.
“I admire writers, and in my profession also I believe that a writer’s contribution is most important. Whichever performance by any actor has been admired, it has been because those roles or scenes were well-written,” the 62-year-old said here Tuesday at the launch of doctor-author Satyen Nabar’s debut novel “A Bolt Of Lightning”.
“That’s why only actors don’t deserve all the credit. Writing is a tough job. To write comprehensively and entertainingly is a big task,” he added.
Naseer also recalled a time when famous writer Gulzar was going through a tough phase but his writing helped him sail through troubled waters.
“Gulzar bhai told me once that when he was going through a tough time, when his films were failing, he had no reason to go to his office. But he said, ‘I went there every morning, industriously, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and he sat and wrote. ‘I don’t know what I wrote, most of that I have tossed away but that writing regularly kept him sane.’ These are Gulzar bhai’s own words,” said Naseeruddin.
Some of Naseer’s epic roles were in films “Nishant”, “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron”, “Masoom”, “Ijaazat” and “Bazaar”, Ishqiya” and many more.
He was recently seen in the role of a police officer in “Maximum.”
- 'Tumhari Amrita' most satisfying experience: Shabana - Nov 21, 2011
- Naseer teams up with son Vivaan for 'Mastaan' - Mar 26, 2012
- I'm getting better roles than ever before: Naseeruddin Shah (Interview) - Sep 04, 2011
- Acting in movies is most boring job: Naseeruddin Shah - Aug 26, 2009
- Theatre re-invented to celebrate Gulzar's legacy (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- Hits or flops don't determine my future: Naseer (Movie Snippets) - Sep 07, 2011
- I still find all roles hard to do: Aamir Khan (Film Snippets) - Jan 26, 2011
- Naseer looking forward to 'Dedh Ishqiya' with Madhuri - May 26, 2012
- I'm humbled, says Shabana after Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2012
- Demise Of Ravi Baswani - Jul 28, 2010
- Naseeruddin Shah is an inspiration: Anurag Kashyap - Sep 03, 2011
- Shruti heads for Madonna's live concert (Movie Snippets) - Jun 02, 2012
- Pakistani writer recalls Indian heritage of storytelling - Apr 17, 2012
- Scripting a new story for Bollywood scriptwriters (This is the second in a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Mar 26, 2011
- 'Dhoom' great franchise to be part of, says 'villain' Aamir - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,