Worlds largest cable-stayed bridge inaugurated in ChinaJuly 1st, 2008 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 1 (ANI): Suzhou-Nantong Yangtze Road Bridge, the worlds largest cable-stayed bridge, was formally opened in East Chinas Jiangsu Province after five years of construction.
The bridge linking the two prosperous cities of Nantong and Suzhou, runs 32.4 kilometres, with 8,146 meters spanning the Yangtze, Chinas longest waterway. It has three lanes each way.
The bridge, 108 kilometres upstream from the Yangtzes mouth, joins the national highway network on the both banks, Xinhua reported.
The bridge has undergone a month-long trial, which saw a daily flow of 20,000 to 30,000 vehicles, before formal opening ceremony on Monday.
Built at a cost of 1.15 billion dollars, it is the most complicated bridge project in Chinas history, setting several technical records.
It has the worlds longest span of 1,088 meters, usurping the previous record holder, the Tatara Bridge in Japan, which has a main span of 890 meters.
The main navigational opening is 62 meters in height and 891 meters wide, which allows the passage of huge vessels with a cargo capacity up to 50,000 tonnes, said Wu Shouchang, chief engineer of the construction headquarters.
It also used the longest bridge cable of 577 meters, 100 meters longer than Tataras record. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi to kick-off work on new Kashmir bridge Monday - May 22, 2011
- Mexico sets world record for highest suspension bridge - Jan 07, 2012
- World's longest bridge built in China - Jan 09, 2011
- World's longest sea bridge draws safety concerns - Jul 05, 2011
- World's longest sea bridge opens in China - Jun 30, 2011
- Three killed as bridge collapses in China (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- India's second sea-bridge to come up in Mumbai - Sep 08, 2011
- Suzhou: China's Venice of the East (Letter from China) - Oct 09, 2011
- Maharashtra takes step forward on Mumbai-Raigad sea bridge - Nov 24, 2011
- China braces for floods - Jun 04, 2012
- 200,000 ancient coins found in China - Jun 05, 2011
- China diverts river water to ease drought - May 19, 2011
- China builds world's longest sea-link bridge - May 11, 2011
- Kashmiris have given fitting reply to terrorists: Sonia (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- China completes tunnel under Yellow river - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,