World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand returns to heroes welcomeNovember 21st, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Nov.21 (ANI): World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand today returned to his hometown. He was given a warm welcome at the Chennai Airport for retaining his world title and doing the country proud at international level.
Anand defeated Russia’’s Vladimir Kramnik in a match-play series to retain his title in Bonn, Germany.
Anand, who won the official title in Mexico last year, defeated Kramnik 6.5-4.5 after a draw in the penultimate game to take an unassailable lead in the 12-match contest.
“Vishy”, as his fans dearly call Ananad, has won the crown for the third time. He won the championship in year 2000 and 2007 other than the latest.
Thirty eight-year-old Indian grandmaster Anand holds several records and championship wins to his credit.
He holds the distinction of being the only player to have won five championship titles at the prestigious Corus Chess Championships. He also has five chess Oscars, which are given to the best player in the world.
He’’s one of only four players in chess history to go past the 2,800 mark on the World Chess Federation rating list.
After the latest win, Anand has become the first player to win the championship in three different formats, knockout, tournament and match.
Germany has hosted 10 of the total 18 World Chess championships since the annual event was established in 1991. (ANI)
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- Anand cements place among all-time greats of chess (Profile) - May 12, 2010
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- Chess champ Anand against playing 'in silence' during world championship - Apr 24, 2010
- Anand wins fifth World Chess title (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- I don't pay much attention to critics: Anand - Jul 12, 2012
- World champion Anand still eager to learn: Grand Master Ganguly (Interview) - Jun 04, 2012
- Viswanathan Anand's parents proud of him becoming 'King of Chess' - May 12, 2010
- Anand to defend world title in Chennai - Jul 13, 2011
- Anand excited about playing in front of home crowd - Jul 13, 2011
- Will continue to take help of big players: Anand - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: best player, bonn germany, championship titles, chennai airport, chess, chess history, corus chess, distinction, knockout tournament, match play, oscars, several records, third time, vishy, vladimir kramnik, warm welcome, world chess champion, world chess championships, world chess federation, year 2000