Working with Akshay in ‘8×10′ was terrific: Nagesh KukunoorMarch 27th, 2009 - 10:19 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) Nagesh Kukunoor is all praise for Akshay Kumar, who plays the main lead in his first action flick “8×10 Tasveer”, describing him as a “no nonsense actor” who would come to the sets on time and do his work without any fuss.
According to Kukunoor, 41, Akshay was an obvious choice for the role of Jai, who has the ability to peek into people’s past.
“The foremost reason to cast Akshay was that he is known for his action films and his stunts. Then I wanted to see him in a role he has not done in the past, precisely the reason why even he got interested in this project,” Kukunoor told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
“Also, I needed an A list star for ‘8×10′,” added Kukunoor.
The thriller revolves around Jai, who has a supernatural gift to see into the past by touching the 8X10 sized photograph of dead people.
The action thriller releases April 3.
“Working with Akshay was terrific. In spite of being a star he is a no-nonsense actor. There were no delays since he would be on the sets on time, work for the requisite hours and go home without any tantrums,” said the director.
Explaining the reason why he chose to direct an action thriller, Kukunoor said: “I like to dabble in different genres; action was one I had not explored till now. Definitely, making an action thriller did have challenges attached to it, but it was equally exciting to make this film. You need a completely different mindset when you make an edgy film like ‘8×10 Tasveer’.”
The film also features Sharmila Tagore, Ayesha Takia and Javed Jaffrey in pivotal roles.
Though Kukunoor’s films “Hyderabad Blues”, “Iqbal” and “Dor” have fetched him critical acclaim, the director maintains he would also be happy if all his films set the cash registers ringing.
“When I compare, the box office definitely matters more than critical acclaim. A film should work at the box office because only then can I keep making films,” he said.
“When you get critical acclaim, you feel nice about the appreciation, but box office success helps you make more films. My main motive is to keep making films; if because of any reason I’m denied to do that, I will feel horrible,” he added.
While choosing the cast did not pose hassles, finalising the title did require a lot of thinking.
“We had decided the name of the film as ‘8×10′ initially but then we thought that the Hindi audience might not be able to connect with an English title. Then I decided on ‘Tasveer’, but we again thought that the people might get confused thinking that this film is some social drama and not an action film. So eventually we merged the two and called it ‘8×10 Tasveer’,” he explained.
Asked which his favourite genre was, he said: “When I’m doing a film, I feel excited and seem to love that genre. But when I complete the film, I’m done and over with it and I move on to something else.
“There are so many things that keep inspiring you and you want to do. Like at the moment I am quite thrilled about action and actually am thinking of taking out some of my old action-packed scripts to make another action film,” said Kukunoor.
The director is planning to take a short break before he starts working on post-production of his next film, “Yeh Hausla”.
Kukunoor has two releases this year, “Aashayein” in June and “Yeh Hausla” in August.
- 'Mod' is my first love story: Nagesh Kukunoor - Aug 03, 2011
- Interview with Nagesh Kukunoor - Aug 28, 2010
- Without big stars, one always struggles: Nagesh Kukunoor - Jan 26, 2012
- Akshay game to play baddie again - May 22, 2012
- Prateik is my baby: Arya Babbar (Movie Snippets) - Sep 26, 2010
- I'm itching to act again: Nagesh Kukunoor (Interview) - Aug 22, 2010
- '8X10 Tasveer' - of photographs and supernatural powers (IANS Preview) - Mar 31, 2009
- Akshay, Ash vie for resurrection this Diwali with 'Action Replayy' (IANS Preview) - Nov 02, 2010
- After 86 films, who cares about critics: Priyadarshan (Interview) - Aug 28, 2012
- Akshay happy to represent Canada tourism - Jun 29, 2010
- Tasveer claims to be original - Apr 01, 2009
- DONT EXPECT 8X10 TASVEER TO BE ANOTHER GHAJINI - Apr 03, 2009
- I stay away from formulas: Nagesh Kukunoor (Interview) - Oct 01, 2011
- Film industry waits for bailout with Akshay's 'Kambakkht Ishq' - Jun 23, 2009
- Nagesh's strange plea - Apr 03, 2009
Tags: action films, action flick, action thriller, akshay kumar, ayesha takia, critical acclaim, foremost reason, hyderabad blues, iqbal, jai, main lead, mindset, nagesh kukunoor, pivotal roles, sharmila tagore, sized photograph, stunts, supernatural gift, tantrums, time work