`Without Men’ features Eva Longoria in lesbian sceneJuly 29th, 2011 - 12:03 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, July 29 (IANS/EFE) The interest sparked by a lesbian scene featuring Eva Longoria and Mexican actress Kate del Castillo has marked the US debut of the comedy “Without Men”.
In the film, Longoria distances herself from her well-known character in “Desperate Housewives” to play the part of a strong-willed widow who winds up becoming the mayor of her town when leftist guerrillas kidnap all the men.
It is a situation that the female residents of the remote town overcome, however, forging a new type of utopian society and the experience fosters a great love for one another among the surviving townspeople.
“It’s good that the people are going to see it out of prurient interest, although the film is more than that,” Argentine director Gabriela Tagliavini - who undertook to adapt the story based on the novel “Tales from the Town of Widows” by Colombian-born author James Canon - told EFE.
“It’s a human and social proposal but in the form of a daring comedy. We seize on the cliches and we laugh about them,” Tagliavini said, insisting that “it’s not a lesbian drama” and neither is it a feminist allegory.
Longoria “really liked the script”, said the director who, with a very small filming budget, relied on personal relationships to assemble the cast consisting of Longoria, Del Castillo, Christian Slater, Oscar Nunez, Maria Conchita Alonso and Monica Huarte, among others.
With regard to the already famous sex scene between Longoria and Del Castillo, part of which is shown in the film’s trailer, Tagliavini admitted that the two actresses were “a little nervous and were laughing” about doing the scene.
“Without Men” will hit the screen Friday in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago, and over the next few weeks it will begin showing in San Diego, San Antonio and Miami.
- Longoria shoots lesbian love scenes for new film - Jul 19, 2011
- Spanish cartoonist dies - Apr 04, 2012
- 17 held in Mexico summer camp attack - Jul 20, 2012
- Actress joins fight against people trafficking - Aug 02, 2012
- Sofia Vergara to host `Saturday Night Live' - Mar 13, 2012
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- Five die in Colombian bar attack - Sep 27, 2011
- Mexican wrestler blocks film's release over nudity - Mar 31, 2011
- Mexican film fest begins Monday in Hong Kong - May 02, 2011
- 10 killed in bar shooting in Mexico - Apr 02, 2011
- Radcliffe's 'Woman In Black' to release in India Feb 10 - Jan 12, 2012
- Three die in Puerto Rico nursing home fire - Sep 05, 2012
- Pilots killed as two crop-dusters collide in Costa Rica - Jun 22, 2011
- Eight killed in fire-bombing in Mexico - Sep 01, 2010
- Rappers lead march against violence in Puerto Rico - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: author james, christian slater, desperate housewives, eva longoria, famous sex, female residents, gabriela tagliavini, huarte, kate del castillo, leftist guerrillas, lesbian scene, maria conchita alonso, mexican actress, oscar nunez, personal relationships, prurient interest, sex scene, townspeople, utopian society, widows