With Natalie Cole - An Unforgettable NightApril 1st, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Natalie Cole the daughter of legendary Nat King Cole and also the tenth time Grammy award-winning rhythm and blues singer, kicked off her Jakarta concert with Frank Sinatra’s “Come Rain or Come Shine”, she struck a chord with the crowd who had braved the sheeting rain to spend the evening with her.
On Monday night, Natalie’s performance at Grand Melia Hotel ballroom was above all a tribute to the great American songbook, from “Coffee Time”, a recommendation from Tony Bennett, to Frank Sinatra’s “L-O-V-E” and “Nice *n’ Easy”, as well as paying homage to her late father, jazz pianist and singer King Cole.
Last week Cole cancelled her Bangkok concert due to her health and last year in July went public about her hepatitis C infection, a liver disease she believes she contracted while sharing dirty needles in the 1980s.
Cole’s career began back in 1975 with her debut album Inseparable, which earned her a number one single, “There Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” and two Grammy awards. Her other famous singles include “Inseparable”, “I’ve Got Love on My Mind” and a remake of Springsteen’s “Pink Cadillac”.
After a little more than an hour’s performance, Cole suddenly exited the stage, leaving her spectators begging for more until she came out for one encore only, “Let There Be Love”, another diamond in her dad’s repertoire.
The night finished with a breathtaking duo between Cole and her trumpet player, Cole effortlessly matching every sound coming out of the trumpet with equally high-reaching notes, leaving her audience in a dizzy spin.
- Singer Natalie Cole to pen memoir - Jul 20, 2010
- Natalie Cole to reveal all about her kidney transplant op in memoir - Jul 20, 2010
- Natalie Cole gets new kidney - May 21, 2009
- Sinatra's daughter acts against fake account - Jul 29, 2012
- Frank Sinatra used to have 12 showers in a day - Jun 03, 2011
- 25 new inductees into Grammy Hall of Fame - Nov 22, 2011
- Simon Cowell presented a Frank Sinatra's handkerchief on the sets of American Idol - May 06, 2010
- Barbara Sinatra comes out with her memoir 'Lady blue eyes: My life with Frank' - May 31, 2011
- American Idol: Top 8 'Motion Picture Night' - Apr 14, 2011
- Hugh Jackman planning concerts in London - Jul 23, 2011
- Nat King Cole' daughters plan to pass father's legacy to next gen - Oct 03, 2009
- New York's Copacabana reopens its doors in new location - Jul 12, 2011
- Natalie Cole's fan offers kidney - Apr 02, 2009
- Singer Etta James passes away - Jan 21, 2012
- Natalie Cole gets life-saving kidney as sister lies dying - May 23, 2009
Tags: coffee time, debut album, dirty needles, frank sinatra, grand melia hotel, great american songbook, hepatitis c, hepatitis c infection, hotel ballroom, jazz pianist, liver disease, nat king cole, natalie cole, paying homage, pink cadillac, rhythm and blues, singer king cole, tenth time, time grammy, trumpet player